Reefer 170 Sump Modification

Leisuretron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to move the bubble trap on my Reefer 170. Will moving it in the attached pictures affect the Skimmer, micro bubbles, return area, etc...? Opinions abound online but I'm plumbing this thing and want to be able to have x2 VarioS-2's in the return. One running to the UV and then into the top of my tank and another for the standard bulkhead return. I see it as a redundancy should my main return fail I can swap and also have UV running at a slower GPH back into my tank. Suggestions? Also, what is the best silicone "big box" stores sell?

IMG_4814.jpg IMG_4815.jpg IMG_4816.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were me, I'd be inclined to leave the sump as is and plumb the return through the UV. That way 100% of the water is going to get UV exposure. If need be, upgrade the return pump. You can certainly make it more complicated, but for a system size of 43 gallons I'm not sure it's worth the expenditure.

That being said, yes - you can certainly relocate the sponge baffle. But where you have it moving to in your diagram may not leave you enough room for your skimmer afterwards. It's not tight now, but you generally do want a bit of room around the skimmer for flow, ease of maintenance, future expansion, etc.

I have a single pump (no redundancy) on my Red Sea 750 XXL. I run a separate pump for my UV that feeds from one chamber to another in my sump, only because the UV went in after the tank was operational and it was cheaper to run the second pump than plumb a manifold,

OP
OP
Leisuretron

Leisuretron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were me, I'd be inclined to leave the sump as is and plumb the return through the UV. That way 100% of the water is going to get UV exposure. If need be, upgrade the return pump. You can certainly make it more complicated, but for a system size of 43 gallons I'm not sure it's worth the expenditure.

That being said, yes - you can certainly relocate the sponge baffle. But where you have it moving to in your diagram may not leave you enough room for your skimmer afterwards. It's not tight now, but you generally do want a bit of room around the skimmer for flow, ease of maintenance, future expansion, etc.

I have a single pump (no redundancy) on my Red Sea 750 XXL. I run a separate pump for my UV that feeds from one chamber to another in my sump, only because the UV went in after the tank was operational and it was cheaper to run the second pump than plumb a manifold,
What would you recommend for leeway using a Reef Octopus eSsence S-130? I got a good deal on the pumps so I do plan to add both but totally see what you're saying. To my understanding though if I can dedicate a single pump with a gate valve and flow sensor I can run this particular Pentair 18W between 37GPH/60GPH and this would kill Protozoa with added benefit of algae removal as well.

Edit: I also like to over complicate things and find solutions. It's fun for me personally and like the challenge. I swear your username rings a bell in a 3D printing community I'm in but nevertheless I appreciate all input!

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'd leave the sump exactly as it is. You don't have any room on the right with the sliding filter tray and you're still going to need space for one or more heaters, etc.

In looking at the specs for the Varios 2, it tops out at 238Gph - which will be the zero head rating. I don't have a chart handy, but you're looking at a reduction based on 4-5' of pipe (inclusive of bends), so I'd be curious what the revised flow rating will be.

You could always run the second pump for the UV from the skimmer chamber into the return chamber or directly into the tank.

OP
OP
Leisuretron

Leisuretron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'd leave the sump exactly as it is. You don't have any room on the right with the sliding filter tray and you're still going to need space for one or more heaters, etc.

In looking at the specs for the Varios 2, it tops out at 238Gph - which will be the zero head rating. I don't have a chart handy, but you're looking at a reduction based on 4-5' of pipe (inclusive of bends), so I'd be curious what the revised flow rating will be.

You could always run the second pump for the UV from the skimmer chamber into the return chamber or directly into the tank.
I'm not seeing 238Gph anywhere here,

Forgive my ignorance because I'm probably wrong. I am still learning about plumbing and head height but I thought this pump pushing 792Gph would more than suffice. Again, I know nothing on the math of pressure and want to learn. Can you point me to articles or something I am missing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leisuretron

Leisuretron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thought on this? I don't plan to run a fuge in the sump and it's being filtered by the sock and bubble trap. At an angle I can fit both in. Just have to run them without the strainer basket intake. I started to take out the baffling before I thought I'd ask and have more silicone on the way.
IMG_4905.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back