Reefer 170

whatchamacallit

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2015
Messages
493
Reaction score
138
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the reefer 170 isn't a big tank, 49 gallons total. But the tank is light obviously.

Unfortunately even after shimming the feet on the stand the tank does slightly wobble if I shake it from the top. Is this normal for smaller tanks?
 
Sorry let me rephrase that, it's not the tank itself it's the whole stand and tank that move together
 
I am setting up a reefer 170 now.
Can you explain "slight wooble" ? Because mine doesn't wooble but can be "pushed" a bit. If you understand what I am saying.
 
When I mean wobble, I'm not talking about a huge thump thump. Just able to shake it a tiny tiny bit so you can slightly hear it.
 
By the way, my return hose is leaking at the place where the green hose ends in to the black adapter that comnects to the bulkhead. Are you seeing any such problem? Its like a drop every 5-7 seconds.
 
Hard to explain what is going on haha it's such a light tank, even shimming it will cause the tank to slide
 
By the way, my return hose is leaking at the place where the green hose ends in to the black adapter that comnects to the bulkhead. Are you seeing any such problem? Its like a drop every 5-7 seconds.
No water in the tank yet. But the hose itself is leaking or the plastic part is split?
 
Its more like weeping at the join between the two adapters before the bulkhead.
 
I am empting the tank now. My tanks level is off by a tiny amount. Got some wooden shims from homedepot.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 176
The shims didn't work at all for me with those dang feet. Why they didn't make the feet adjustable is beyond me
 
Are you trying to level the stand on carpet? If the stand is near a wall I'd anchor it since it's so easy for a child to tip one over. I would double check the tank level then add sand and rock and check again before adding water. Then a final check after filling to make sure nothing gave and changed the level. You might want to cap the bottom end of that leaking hose and fill the overflow with water to see where the leak is because if it leaks with only a bit of water in the tank under pressure it'll probably leak more. Are you sure it's not a bulkhead seal dripping down on the lower fitting?
 
The shims didn't work at all for me with those dang feet. Why they didn't make the feet adjustable is beyond me

I am having trouble with the shims too because of the feet. Will it work if we place it under the "feet" itself?!
 
Are you trying to level the stand on carpet? If the stand is near a wall I'd anchor it since it's so easy for a child to tip one over. I would double check the tank level then add sand and rock and check again before adding water. Then a final check after filling to make sure nothing gave and changed the level. You might want to cap the bottom end of that leaking hose and fill the overflow with water to see where the leak is because if it leaks with only a bit of water in the tank under pressure it'll probably leak more. Are you sure it's not a bulkhead seal dripping down on the lower fitting?


I have tanks on carpet for many years. Its not an issue as long as its not close to the wall. The leak has finally been sealed after a liberal use of teflon tape.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new