Reefer 250 vs 350

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I am about to order reefer 250 or 350
Is 350 (a little bigger) really worth it?

I am using red sea wizard.
They recommend skimmer 600 for 350 and 300 for 250.
My lfs says I can use skimmer 300 for both , id that ok?
What about recommend red sea light and wave maker? Is it ok?

Thank you

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say stay the hack away from red Sea skimmers

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 250 and wish I got the 350. I originally thought 3 feet wide is enough, but the aspect ratio is much better at 4 ft (or 6ft lol). More swimming room too and freedom to aquascape.

I love the Red Sea lights. Prefer power heads over gyres which I hear clog easily. The skimmer is not bad at all, a bit louder than I’d like, but performance is good.

OP
OP
A

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me why ?
Also they offer to use (forgot the word) to replace a skimmer
It was device with a roll , paper or something roll, I am trying to Google it
Like this

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me why ?
Also they offer to use (forgot the word) to replace a skimmer
It was device with a roll , paper or something roll, I am trying to Google it
Nyos 120 or 160 pull good dark skimmate and are super quiet. I believe it's also space saving too. It just runs on the more expensive side.

You can look into a clarisea too.

I would caution though that Red Sea has been having stand issues on it's larger tanks, maybe 350 included. I would opt for the plywood cabinet version if it's within your budget.

OP
OP
A

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos 120 or 160 pull good dark skimmate and are super quiet. I believe it's also space saving too. It just runs on the more expensive side.

You can look into a clarisea too.

I would caution though that Red Sea has been having stand issues on it's larger tanks, maybe 350 included. I would opt for the plywood cabinet version if it's within your budget.
Thank you
I am thinking about the Clarissea, just scared about the installation, lsf said i will need to custom the sump

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say stay the hack away from red Sea skimmers
I would get the biggest one you can afford and make space for. The more water volume you have the easier things go. You can do larger water changes but that means you have to change more water... Red Sea Skimmers are the best in my opinion. Great design with good features. I us the entire Red Sea program.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 350. The stands are complete junk, china, particle board. Most of my cam locks broke and the replacements from Lowe's were much better quality. Sad. Plus it took several months to get a replacement end panel as they shipped two lefts and no rights. Then they shipped another left, sad. Plus the bottom of the tank itself was not flat, the left rear corner sits elevated off the stand. If I were to do it again I'd go custom tank, have a real stand made and aftermarket sump. Just my 2 cents. All these premade setups are from china and I wouldn't recommend them today.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RSR 250 and RSR 525XL and are happy with both. 250 is 4YO and 525 is 1YO. As mentioned earlier the 250 has a chipboard stand but the quality is pretty good. The 525 has a plywood stand that is much better, but you won’t get that in either the 250 or 350. If it is available in either as an option now I would pay the extra and get it.

I have an RSK 600 in the 525 and it is great. I believe it is oversized for the 350 however so feel the RSK 300 is plenty, unless you are planning a really big bio load.

I run 3x RS90 lights on the 525 and they are great, so recommend those. Two should be enough in the 350, make sure you get the back hung arms to mount them, very clean. I run a Maxspect 420R triple on the 250, which is nice, but I don’t like the overhead straddle mount anywhere near as much as the RS90 mounts. Both lights grow corals just fine.

I run Gyres in both of my tanks - a single GP03 in the 250 and twin 350s in the 525. A single would be enough in the 350 and you could add in an MP10 or similar powerhead to deal with the dead spot you will have underneath it if that causes you an issue (it doesn’t cause me an issue in the 250).

Finally I recommend the larger tank IF you can afford it and IF your space will accomodate it. You will never regret a little more space in the tank, but you will also always regret getting a tank that is squeezed into to tight a space. Think about how much room you need for maintenance, backsides etc and then add 50% more for convenience.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Michael Biando

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the 350. You will be glad you did. I looked at both and the 350 is a beautiful tank. I bought the 350 and would have had buyers remorse if I went with the smaller 250. 250 is not much bigger than the 170.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 @Tastee. I have the Red Sea E-260 and love it. My daughter's E-170 has the Reef LED 90 and it's an awesome light, good color and growth on her corals.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 250, I immediately decided it was not big enough and I am looking much bigger now (fish choice reasons). I also have to build an electronics cabinet for my P4 and dosers. As far as the RSK-300, its nice but I might have went a different route. The first thing I replaced was the sump for more room, I then added a Klir D1-4. I am thinking of going triton so I am be changing again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back