Reefer 350 G2 lighting and wavemaker

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I'm getting a Reefer 350 soon and I was wondering what kind of lighting and wavemakers I should get? I've seen some conflicting info about lighting, I'm going to be growing sps, lps, and softies in the tank so I need something that can handle that. Thanks!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the XL300. I went with all Ecotech oomponents so my return pump. Lights and wave makers are all on the mobius app and accessible from my phone easily.

OP
OP
O

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a pair of Red Sea ReefWave25's and two EcoTech Radion XR15 G5 or G6 Pros. If you prefer more of a blue effect, go with the Blues instead of the Pros.
Thanks for the recommendation, I appreciate it but do you have any other recommendations for the wavemakers? those gyres are a bit steep.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendation, I appreciate it but do you have any other recommendations for the wavemakers? those gyres are a bit steep.
You could look at the AI Nero or one of the Tunze or Sicce controllable wavemakers as well.

OP
OP
O

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look at the AI Nero or one of the Tunze or Sicce controllable wavemakers as well.
Alright thanks, sorry for all the questions. I'm talking to these other people and they are saying 3 smatfarm lights or 2 Red Sea ReefLED 90's would be good enough to grow sps in the tank? Is that true or not?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks, sorry for all the questions. I'm talking to these other people and they are saying 3 smatfarm lights or 2 Red Sea ReefLED 90's would be good enough to grow sps in the tank? Is that true or not?
yes but they are lower quality lights compared to some others. Reefled for some reason a lot of people have problems with the lights disconnecting from wifi or not connecting at all. I like kessils over the red sea reefled for shimmer but they arent as blue as an ecotech radion. Matters what looks you want and budget

smatfarms and reefled will definitely work, i would lean towards smatfarms if going lower budget and maybe adding 1 blue led bar like orphek or quanta reef

OP
OP
O

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but they are lower quality lights compared to some others. Reefled for some reason a lot of people have problems with the lights disconnecting from wifi or not connecting at all. I like kessils over the red sea reefled for shimmer but they arent as blue as an ecotech radion. Matters what looks you want and budget

smatfarms and reefled will definitely work, i would lean towards smatfarms if going lower budget and maybe adding 1 blue led bar like orphek or quanta reef
Dam alright. Do you have any recommendations for a light setup that's under 600? I'm willing to buy the xr15 g6's but if there's something more in the 600 range that would be better

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dam alright. Do you have any recommendations for a light setup that's under 600? I'm willing to buy the xr15 g6's but if there's something more in the 600 range that would be better
Buy once cry once. You are getting a top of the line tank why kill its potential for beautiful coral and fish going with bargain base essential equipment? Lights are critical for coral especially SPS.

OP
OP
O

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy once cry once. You are getting a top of the line tank why kill its potential for beautiful coral and fish going with bargain base essential equipment? Lights are critical for coral especially SPS.
Honestly your right, I'm already spending this much money on the tank I might aswell go all out with the equipment.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly your right, I'm already spending this much money on the tank I might aswell go all out with the equipment.
Now you might be able to find some discounted G5 for sale or slightly used as people opt for G6. You can save money by not going the full Apex set up but that automation is pretty nice to. If you haven't done rock yet think about spending a few buck on some good real ocean live rock. You will totally jump start your tanks biodiversity and probably have far less new tank issues.

OP
OP
O

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you might be able to find some discounted G5 for sale or slightly used as people opt for G6. You can save money by not going the full Apex set up but that automation is pretty nice to. If you haven't done rock yet think about spending a few buck on some good real ocean live rock. You will totally jump start your tanks biodiversity and probably have far less new tank issues.
Yeah I was planning on getting live rock

OP
OP
O

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was planning on getting live rock for the tank, gonna cost some money but I think it's gonna be worth it

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was planning on getting live rock for the tank, gonna cost some money but I think it's gonna be worth it
I wish I would have from the start up. It will be money well spent and your tank will greatly benefit from it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion G5s are pretty much the standard (every coral farm uses them). They're 15% off right now while you can find supplies, so it's probably your best deal until Black Friday.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion G5s are pretty much the standard (every coral farm uses them). They're 15% off right now while you can find supplies, so it's probably your best deal until Black Friday.
I'm thinking of just buying one to have back up redundancy. But gen 10 will probably be out before they go bad.

OP
OP
O

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I'm getting a 525 G2 instead of the 350 G2. What would you recommend for lighting on the 525 G2?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'll keep that in mind, I saw a lot of people using the Photon 50 V2 and I was wondering what you think about that.
Not familiar personally but have heard decent reviews. I just like the ease of radions with the mobius app.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back