Reefer 450 Build/Upgrade - Pic Heavy!

cfendya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided it was time to upgrade from my Red Sea E260 that I converted to an under cabinet sump as I found a great deal on a Red Sea Reefer 450 Deluxe and couldn't pass it up.

This build thread will document both the new install along with my tank transfer process. I searched quite a bit on the best process and through a bunch of separate threads here and on other sites, I was able to come up with a plan that I thought carried the least risk to my livestock. Obviously keeping everything alive during this process was my biggest concern :) This was also my wife's biggest concern and hesitation in letting me upgrade but after much discussion of my process, she obliged and the upgrade was blessed :D

Here is a picture of the old tank and sump.

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

I made the decision to leave my sand behind as I wanted 100% Tropic Eden Reef Flakes in my new tank as well, I had been battling with a lot of diatoms and other algae issues with this tank so felt starting over with a good base, would be the right thing to do. I'll get more into the tank transfer process I took later on but during the livestock transfer, this proved to be one of my best decisions in this journey!

On to the new build!

Here is a listing of all parts used in this build...

Red Sea Reefer 450 Deluxe
3 x Hydra 26HD LED Lights with Red Sea mounting arms
2 x MP40WQD
Vortech M1 Return Pump
LifeReef Skimmer
500W Finnex Titanium Heater
Split Line Return Mod
Apex Controller
Apex WXM to control MP40's
Pick up day arrived so my son and I went to go pick up the new tank! Getting it home was fortunately uneventful.

Backed into the garage for an "easy" move.

IMG_0350.jpg

Red Sea does an amazing job with packing. The outside is wrapped in a heavy particle board like material. Simply remove the screws and the panels come down allowing access to contents. Everything is very well protected and packed!

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

This stuff is HEAVY! There was no good way for my wife and I to move the unassembled cabinet while in the box, so we opened the box while in the truck and carried in pieces separately. This actually worked quite well as we were able to leave the packing mess out in the garage as well, it allowed us to inspect and place pieces where we could easily identify them prior to assembly in my office.

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

Picture of where the tank will go...I saw a number of you place tape on the wall and floor and would highly recommend future builders do the same. It gave my wife and I a great idea as to how much space the tank was going to take up and we were able to appropriately center everything prior to everything being brought in. We also used the tape on the floor for when placing stand. Again, this stuff is heavy so the less you have to move it, the better :p

This wall is opposite of the old tank.

IMG_0348.jpg

Assembly of the Red Sea stand went really quick with my wife's help. We were complete with it in about 1.5 hours. Instructions could've been a little bit better with greater details on what pieces to use as well it would've been nice if Red Sea labeled the stand panels. We often were trying to compare the small pictures in the assembly instructions to the actual pieces to make sure we were using the right pieces. Having two sets of eyes and brains here helped ;)

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Fortunately, we have great neighbors so I called over one of the guys and he helped me move the tank in. His wife came over and both she and my wife supported the tank as I pulled it out of the truck allowing him to grab the end. Once we both had a good hold of it, we were easily able to carry it in. Fortunately, it was a straight shot from our garage into my office so no navigation of tight corners was needed ;)

IMG_0360.jpg

Next up was placing the sump in the stand.

IMG_0361.jpg

Lights mounted

IMG_0362.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back