Reefing Styles Around the World

ReefNutsThailand

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 14, 2025
Messages
353
Reaction score
1,110
Location
Pattaya Thailand
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m from Thailand and I’ve noticed that reef tanks from different countries can look quite different.

Some focus more on aquascape and design, while others seem more technical with automation and data.

I’m curious — what style do you see the most where you live? 😊
 
after 55 years, I say “less technology and more biology”, which makes me “old school”. No automation except timer on the lights. I focus on diverse filter feeders and ornamental seaweeds: sumpless & skimmerless.
That sounds really inspiring —
My first tank was cycled with shrimps 😅 — just wait and smell haha.
I’m still learning and adapting to new technology.
Thank you for sharing! 🙏
 
Old 90's reefer here.
I keep it simple.
Heavy in/out
Heavy skimming
Carx
Kalk 24/7
Ozone
400 micron filter socks.
5% a month WC.
2 Sea Sweeps/flow
My 150 and sump
20251012_142846.jpg
20251103_085548.jpg
 
Old 90's reefer here.
I keep it simple.
Heavy in/out
Heavy skimming
Carx
Kalk 24/7
Ozone
400 micron filter socks.
5% a month WC.
2 Sea Sweeps/flow
My 150 and sump
20251012_142846.jpg
20251103_085548.jpg
Wow, that's very nice system.
 
Old 90's reefer here.
I keep it simple.
Heavy in/out
Heavy skimming
Carx
Kalk 24/7
Ozone
400 micron filter socks.
5% a month WC.
2 Sea Sweeps/flow
My 150 and sump
20251012_142846.jpg
20251103_085548.jpg
That top picture is always super cool to see every time you post.
 
I started in 2003 and this hobby has changed a lot. I’m old school with some new technology. This is the first tank I’ve ran with a controller and I gotta say it’s super nice. However I’m old school in all my methods. I’m a stacker when it comes to rock work. Make it look natural while having a stable scape.
 
I started in 2003 and this hobby has changed a lot. I’m old school with some new technology. This is the first tank I’ve ran with a controller and I gotta say it’s super nice. However I’m old school in all my methods. I’m a stacker when it comes to rock work. Make it look natural while having a stable scape.
That’s great! I also like keeping the tank as natural as possible,
while having a controllable system that allows me to monitor everything clearly and quickly. Thank you for sharing 🥰
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new