ReefingwithO's IM 14 Gallon Triton Method Tank

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll document as best as I can the journey with "my" Innovative Marine Peninsula 14 Gallon tank. The tank is not really mine. It's my kids tank and it's in their bedroom.

The tank was setup June 14th 2017. The photo below is of the tank today. I'll provide details on how I got to this point.

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 11.55.46 AM.png

The tank is running the Triton method. As of today it's been 3 months without a water change.

Tank details.
  • Innovative Marine 14 gallon peninsula tank
  • Cheato reactor made from a Phosban 150 reactor and Accell aquatics lights from Marine Depot
  • 100gph pump to feed the cheat reactor - (I forgot the brand)
  • IM media basket - (I have some floss and periodically run some carbon here.
  • Osmolator 3155 ATO - had it lying around after I took it off my 75 gallon.
  • Radion XR15 G4 Pro - got it from a reefer on Manhattanreefs.com for $200. (Almost new, got the box, invoice and everything)
  • Coralbox WIFI Dosing pump
  • VOSS bottles used as dosing containers
  • Jebao DC650 return pump - upgraded from stock ACT return pump that was noisy
  • Jebao SW-2 - run periodically to stir up detritus
  • Random flow generator by @Vivid Creative Aquatics
Stocking
  • 2 clownfish - I'm not sure what type
  • 2 wheelers gobies
  • 2 pistol shrimp

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a photo of the cheato reactor. I used to run it 12 hours a night but based on the results of my last Triton test. My P and P04 were lower than recommended. Even though the tank gets fed a cube of mysis every 2 days and my 9 year old son feeds a healthy pinch of cobalt aquatics flakes every other day.
Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 11.53.50 AM.png

Here is a video I made of the cheato reactor when it was on the 10 gallon tank. If any of you are considering using this as a filtration method it absolutely works and can less your dependence on water changes to reduce nutrients.

One thing I'll note about cheato reactors. In my experience the cheato will grow crazy for a few months and then stop. I think it's because the cheato has used up some elements in the water that needs to be replenished. I've gotten advice that it's iron, manganese, nutrients too low, molebynum ect.

That's why I eventually went to Triton as it has elements that encourage macro-algea growth and should theoretically replace these elements when they are used up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This tank started as a standard 10 gallon tank from Petco with an Aquaclear hang-on back filter and the cheato reactor.
I decided to change because it looked messy and there was less room for corals because of all the equipment hanging on.
You can see the performance of the cheato reactor and that's why I was comfortable going to the Triton method on this tank.

IMG_3079.jpg
IMG_3153.jpg
IMG_3157.jpg

OP
OP
ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Before I switched over to Triton I was using a BRS dosing pump and kalkwasser to maintain calcium and alkalinity. I would mix up a small batch every 2 weeks.
IMG_4554.JPG

Lynchdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank. I have actually seen the tank video multiple times as I was looking up how well chaeto reactors work before I decided to try one on my large reef tank now I’m going to attempt on my nano. I’m glad to hear switching to Triton helped with macro growth I’ve also been debating that on my nano. Glad to hear it works well.

OP
OP
ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice tank. I have actually seen the tank video multiple times as I was looking up how well chaeto reactors work before I decided to try one on my large reef tank now I’m going to attempt on my nano. I’m glad to hear switching to Triton helped with macro growth I’ve also been debating that on my nano. Glad to hear it works well.

Thanks.

An accurate doser is a must. I use a coralbox wifi doser and it is not very accurate below 1ml. I dilute my Triton solution by 50% so I dose 2ml per day. Also be sure to check for air bubbles frequently. At this size tank, dosing inaccuracies can cause issues quickly.

Lynchdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

An accurate doser is a must. I use a coralbox wifi doser and it is not very accurate below 1ml. I dilute my Triton solution by 50% so I dose 2ml per day. Also be sure to check for air bubbles frequently. At this size tank, dosing inaccuracies can cause issues quickly.
Would manual dosing work well currently I dose every other day with Red Sea and test every 7-10 days

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back