ReefKeeper Questions

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used ReefKeeper Lite with the NET module. I'm wondering if there's a way to store the pH and Temp data for graphing/charting?

Most of my internet searches don't turn up any results regarding connectivity, etc. of the ReefKeeper

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used ReefKeeper Lite with the NET module. I'm wondering if there's a way to store the pH and Temp data for graphing/charting?

Most of my internet searches don't turn up any results regarding connectivity, etc. of the ReefKeeper
Use My Reef for graphing and save them in a desktop file

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use My Reef for graphing and save them in a desktop file

So if I go to the MyReef software it will have my parameters by the minute/10mins etc. that I can download as a file?

I've just never used a ReefKeeper before

Will I need to connect a Amazon Tablet or something like that in order to have MyReef log parameters? Or is that what the WiFi module connects to?

Thanks for the info!!

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef software works with microsoft (not the best with 10)
when you connect my reef via the net the control page comes up and you can tell the graph section to record what ever parameters you want to observe IE:
Temp , salinity, ph, orp, whatever, min to min, hour, daily, weekl,y mot,h etc.
Go to Digital Aquatics web site and join the forum and look there for all downloadable instructions for what ever you need

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can log 16 ports on the NET module. For graphing to work on myReef it would have to be connected to your computer running myReef 27/7 since the graphing is done with the computer and not the controller.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can log 16 ports on the NET module. For graphing to work on myReef it would have to be connected to your computer running myReef 27/7 since the graphing is done with the computer and not the controller.
That would only be for graphing with myreef? Will I still be able to pull the data from the system to Bob l build graphs in my own software (Excel)?

The information around the reefkeeper does not make it easy to understand it's capabilities compared to the Apex.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to give the ReefKeeper a shot, but I heard a ton of noise coming from my tank, went over to it and noticed that two of my dosing pumps were running nonstop, one being 4.5 hours after scheduled/programmed and the other running 7.5 hours too early from programmed.

I must have messed up the settings, or they didn't save or something when I programmed them last night... Anyways

Just sent payment for an Apex head unit off the forums, and i'll be looking to buy a new EB8. I will be selling my ReefKeeper setup if anyone's interested!

Thanks for the info all!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to give the ReefKeeper a shot, but I heard a ton of noise coming from my tank, went over to it and noticed that two of my dosing pumps were running nonstop, one being 4.5 hours after scheduled/programmed and the other running 7.5 hours too early from programmed.

I must have messed up the settings, or they didn't save or something when I programmed them last night... Anyways

Just sent payment for an Apex head unit off the forums, and i'll be looking to buy a new EB8. I will be selling my ReefKeeper setup if anyone's interested!

Thanks for the info all!

You will have this issue with any controller with these pumps if you use the triac outputs. The pumps generate a back EMF pulse when power is removed from them. This unfortunately will turn the triac back on then it will turn off again when the pulse drops. it will keep doing this at a very rapid rate and appear to be powered all the time. On a PC4 the triac outputs are CH2 and CH3. A PB4 has circuitry built into it to kill the pulse. You can also use a surge protector with a 330 volt clamping voltage between the outlet and the pump. Apparently you have a PC4 with the RKL instead of the newer PB4. If you use those pumps on a Apex be aware of this using them on the triac outputs.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this your first controller? Always test you programming before you put it to use on the tank itself. Especially with dosing. Dose into a container for a 24 hr period and make sure it is dosing the correct amount. That way if there is an error you can correct it without endangering your tank.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have this issue with any controller with these pumps if you use the triac outputs. The pumps generate a back EMF pulse when power is removed from them. This unfortunately will turn the triac back on then it will turn off again when the pulse drops. it will keep doing this at a very rapid rate and appear to be powered all the time. On a PC4 the triac outputs are CH2 and CH3. A PB4 has circuitry built into it to kill the pulse. You can also use a surge protector with a 330 volt clamping voltage between the outlet and the pump. Apparently you have a PC4 with the RKL instead of the newer PB4. If you use those pumps on a Apex be aware of this using them on the triac outputs.

To be honest, i'm not sure what that means =S

I tested it a second time, and only plug 2 ran continuously after unplugging and plugging the pumps back in to the same outlets

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this your first controller? Always test you programming before you put it to use on the tank itself. Especially with dosing. Dose into a container for a 24 hr period and make sure it is dosing the correct amount. That way if there is an error you can correct it without endangering your tank.

Ooh I don't think my previous post was clear - I didn't have it hooked up to draw anything - I knew better than to trust brand new programming

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tested it a second time, and only plug 2 ran continuously after unplugging and plugging the pumps back in to the same outlets

Do you have PC4 power bar. If so the triac outputs are the two in the middle. the two outer outlets are relays and won't have the issue with the low power pumps.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are both PC4's, I appreciate the effort! But I sent payment/committed to buying an Apex Classic head unit, and ordered an EB8 from BRS, so i'll be going the Apex route

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are both PC4's, I appreciate the effort! But I sent payment/committed to buying an Apex Classic head unit, and ordered an EB8 from BRS, so i'll be going the Apex route

That must have been a used system. The PC4's have been out of production for around 3 years now. The Apex has triac outputs also so be aware of it when hooking up low power pumps. You will have to get with someone that has experience with the Apex to find out which ones use triacs. If you do have to use a triac output with those pumps then add a surge protector between them and the output.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I got mine I thought it was defective because a low power LED I had plugged in continuously flashed on and off even if the program was "off". I figured out that low power stuff is supposed to go on channels 1 or 4.

It is mind boggling that DA can't put out some basic instructions. They could pay an intern to comb this forum for a month and put together a pretty decent instruction doc.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got mine I thought it was defective because a low power LED I had plugged in continuously flashed on and off even if the program was "off". I figured out that low power stuff is supposed to go on channels 1 or 4.

It is mind boggling that DA can't put out some basic instructions. They could pay an intern to comb this forum for a month and put together a pretty decent instruction doc.
The PB4 will not have the issue. It replaced the PC4 and has circuits built in to suppress the EMF pulse.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 76 47.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back