Reefled 90 power pack hot and sparking

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the second owner of my current Red Sea e260, I am guessing no warranty would ever transfer to me. Is there any kind of recall on these lights? So what we noticed first was getting "disconnect" messages on the Reefbeat app. I thought maybe it was just my wireless but everything else in the house works flawlessly. I can keep an SSH session open for days on any server in my house through wireless with no issues. I figured maybe these Reefled's have ****** wireless units until this happened. My GF told me that when she dumps the skimmer and her hand rubs up against the plug on the back of my left light it is hot enough to burn her. She was not wrong, the plug where the Reefled plugs into the power pack is hot enough that it looks like the rubber is starting to melt. I figured maybe there was some salt creep that got into there and I cleaned it all with alcohol, but it looked clean before. If I wiggle the end I can hear and see it spark. Both power packs are hot as fire too, I mean really hot. I think the disconnects I am getting is on that left unit enough though we never see the light go out, I think it is powering off very quickly and we just do not notice.

So looking on the forum I notice there are other threads about these lights, it does not seem to be an isolated event. I contacted Red Sea yesterday but they are asking me for receipts. I have purchased other Red Sea lights, one just recently but my problem so far is with the original lights. Just buy a power pack?

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big question is how to get the new style power pack. My new Reefled has a bigger power pack, it stays warm not hot.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back