reeflo snapper/dart hybrid inlet

  • Thread starter Thread starter mfinn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
14,353
Reaction score
11,340
Location
Olympia, WA.
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I am going to be setting up a new tank and was thinking about buying a reeflo snapper/dart hybrid pump.
But the bulkhead that will be in the tank I would use for the suction side of the pump is 1-1/2".
With the inlet on the pump being 2", can I reduce that to 1-1/2" without damaging the pump?
 
I believe that it can be bad for the pump to choke it back on the input side, but if you have a 1.5" pipe restricting the flow on the output too you shouldn't have problems since it will be balanced. You just wont be using the pump to it's potential.
 
Last edited:
I was going to go with four 1" outlets.
 
Thats fine, but if you have to use a 1.5" bulkhead and pipe to the inlet of the pump. You should use 1.5" on the output all the way to the T where you split it. Keep the piping balanced so you're not necessarily restricting the input. I know you can restrict flow on all the reeflo pumps which causes them to use less electricity. Your supposed to do it on the output side though. Thats why, in your case you need to use only 1.5" pipe
 
Well after talking with my tank builder we decided that he would contact the glass supplier ( cuts, grinds, polishes, and drills holes) that we would change it to two 1-1/2" bulkheads.
If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a pump, may as well play it safe.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new