ReefMat 1200 plumbing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have a new tank on the way in approximately two months and now planning a sump build but unsure if what I am trying to do will actually work. Want flexibility of socks or fleece filter. Currently have 7" Klirs but more often than not just use socks and slip in the Klirs if I am traveling or unable to keep up with changing or washing socks. Several reasons why but not relevant to this story. Have a desire to eventually migrate to ReefMat 1200. At least maybe migrate and don't want my present build efforts to preclude me from doing so. I'd be using a ReefMat in an otherwise non-Red Sea ecosystem except for salt. To get the flexibility, I'm proposing removable sock plates that I can take out and put the ReefMat 1200 in their place. HOWEVER, I have a bean animal overflow with three drains. Primary which handles overwhelming majority of flow, secondary should ideally be nothing more than a trickle and emergency unused unless something bad happens. Primary and secondary to be plumbed into a submerged area of my input/sock/fleece chamber. A wall then separates the input from the sock/fleece. When using socks, the input chamber overflows to and across the sock plate, through the socks, into the bottom of the chamber then through baffles to the skimmer, refugium and return chambers. Easy. ReefMat isn't quite as simple. The inlet hose(s) must be plumbed. WANT to install the ReefMat such that inlet plug faces front of sump, inlet hose goes out the back of the ReefMat to a submerged bulkhead. Opposite the bulkhead will be the two submerged drains. BTW, bulkhead will be removable with a nylon screw on coverplate installed in its place if using socks. The drains are just draining into this chamber but not continuously plumbed to the bulkhead. Will this work? Option 2 alternativel, I could potentially install two bulkheads, dry fit/not glue slip fittings to the inlet side of the bulkheads, dry fit/not glue slip fittings and elbows to the drains. Not my ideal situation because space quickly becomes an issue after spinning the unit such that fleece rotation is front to back, both inlets are used and immediately elbow toward the back connecting to the bulkheads. I'm not completely certain space required as manual only depicts front to back depth in this use case as D1 dimensions below the Freestanding Installation section. I'm just guessing at the side to side length including the inlet tubing sweeps or, preferably, elbows. So I have space concern. And I have probability of noise also with very unequal flow entering the ReefMat from primary and only low/trickle from secondary. Option 3, I just plumb single bulkhead as originally planned and on drain chamber side I dry fit/don't glue fittings to connect the primary drain to ReefMat allowing flow through secondary drain to overflow the drain chamber wall freely entering the bottom of the fleece chamber then skimmer, refugium and return chambers unfiltered. This seems feasible because unfiltered flow through secondary shouldn't be significant but still undesirable. Options 2 and 3 complicate the build because in addition to the removable sock plate I also need a removable drain plate so I can access that chamber to install/remove the fittings. And somewhare along the way here I am reducing my drain plumbing from 1 1/2" to 1". I strongly prefer Option 1 or 3 and not exceeding ~11L x 24D x tbdH input/sock/fleece footprint. I know the drains and dual 7" sock plates can fit in this same space. What are my ReefMat options here? And how much space do I need? Or am I just trying to accomplish an impossible task?

Last edited:

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having a hard time following exactly what you want to do, but thought I would share what I did in case it helps you out. I have the 1200 as well and run a bean animal overflow. I run both my primary and secondary drain to the roller mat, and my emergency overflow runs directly to the sump. I hard plumbed my primary and secondary drain to either side of the 1200 and used slip fittings. These fittings are not glued in. The only issue I have using it in this orientation is that I don't have room to slide the bottom tray in/out so I just don't use it.

1696931894507.png

Hope this helps

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ As @Gill the 3rd mentioned, you can utilize the inlets on either side of the ReefMat for a total of two (2). If you're sticking with the flexible Red Sea hose you'll just need another hose and/or set of adapters.

Honestly, once you've gone fleece roller - you'll never entertain filter socks again.

OP
OP
T

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
^ As @Gill the 3rd mentioned, you can utilize the inlets on either side of the ReefMat for a total of two (2). If you're sticking with the flexible Red Sea hose you'll just need another hose and/or set of adapters.

Honestly, once you've gone fleece roller - you'll never entertain filter socks again.

I don't need much convincing. That's why I'm trying so dang hard to make this work with the build and space I have.

OP
OP
T

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Checking out your picture and how you have the ReefMat plumbed, I'm guessing your sump is at least 16" deep. Got the 12.1" dimensions in the specifications, about 1.3" outside diameter of PVC pipes and make the sweep around the motor. Probably consuming ~15 1/2" depth with little room to spare.

My plan is a modular setup that will allow either socks or ReefMat. With the cash flowing out for tank, stand and sump the ReefMat may not be an immediate opportunity. And there are some situations where I may want to temporarily swap back to socks. Occasionally I throw in a 5 micron sock and dose lanthanum. Twelve hours of a lanthanum drip into the 5 micron sock and three or four socks later my phosphates are back in line. Not drastic adjustments but reducing from ~0.2ppm back down to 0.06ppm range if I get lax on maintenance. The 200 micron Red Sea fleece won't pull out the lanthanum.

My desired sump height makes it necessary to hang the ReefMat. Hanging it also reduces the footprint depending upon how you look at it by upwards of 10" of fleece overhang and hinged cover. The hinged cover may be tight in my situation but can make due with it. The dimensions I found online and your photo pretty much rule out a couple options and drive my likely solution. That's IF I can make it work. Reason for optimism though. Going to my local fish store tomorrow to check out the 1200, confirm dimensions and validate my design. Trying to plumb both primary and secondary appears difficult bordering on impossible the way that I need to position the ReefMat. So planning on plumbing a single bulkhead through the drain chamber wall and connecting to the inlet side of the ReefMat. The secondary drain will be allowed to overflow the drain chamber wall freely entering the sock/fleece chamber then mixing with water which as gone through the ReefMat. The volume of flow through the secondary shouldn't be significant so may not be ideal but workable. May discover something different when I actually see the unit for the first time tomorrow. But thinking this is my best possible outcome.

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 11.20.58 PM.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking out your picture and how you have the ReefMat plumbed, I'm guessing your sump is at least 16" deep. Got the 12.1" dimensions in the specifications, about 1.3" outside diameter of PVC pipes and make the sweep around the motor. Probably consuming ~15 1/2" depth with little room to spare.

My plan is a modular setup that will allow either socks or ReefMat. With the cash flowing out for tank, stand and sump the ReefMat may not be an immediate opportunity. And there are some situations where I may want to temporarily swap back to socks. Occasionally I throw in a 5 micron sock and dose lanthanum. Twelve hours of a lanthanum drip into the 5 micron sock and three or four socks later my phosphates are back in line. Not drastic adjustments but reducing from ~0.2ppm back down to 0.06ppm range if I get lax on maintenance. The 200 micron Red Sea fleece won't pull out the lanthanum.

My desired sump height makes it necessary to hang the ReefMat. Hanging it also reduces the footprint depending upon how you look at it by upwards of 10" of fleece overhang and hinged cover. The hinged cover may be tight in my situation but can make due with it. The dimensions I found online and your photo pretty much rule out a couple options and drive my likely solution. That's IF I can make it work. Reason for optimism though. Going to my local fish store tomorrow to check out the 1200, confirm dimensions and validate my design. Trying to plumb both primary and secondary appears difficult bordering on impossible the way that I need to position the ReefMat. So planning on plumbing a single bulkhead through the drain chamber wall and connecting to the inlet side of the ReefMat. The secondary drain will be allowed to overflow the drain chamber wall freely entering the sock/fleece chamber then mixing with water which as gone through the ReefMat. The volume of flow through the secondary shouldn't be significant so may not be ideal but workable. May discover something different when I actually see the unit for the first time tomorrow. But thinking this is my best possible outcome.
You are correct - 16" exactly (minus 1/4" for the bottom glass panel). Including the filter tray (which extends down about 2"), there's about 3" clearance under the ReefMat. So without the filter tray there's at least 5-6" of clearance.

Do note that the top half of the ReefMat comes apart with a tab/click, so it's fairly easy to disassemble in the sump for removal if need be (the motor is held in-place with a single red bracket that is also easily removable).

OP
OP
T

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are correct - 16" exactly (minus 1/4" for the bottom glass panel). Including the filter tray (which extends down about 2"), there's about 3" clearance under the ReefMat. So without the filter tray there's at least 5-6" of clearance.

Do note that the top half of the ReefMat comes apart with a tab/click, so it's fairly easy to disassemble in the sump for removal if need be (the motor is held in-place with a single red bracket that is also easily removable).

What is the front to back measurement of your sump? How much of that does the ReefMat and plumbing consume? And how did you convert to standard 1" fittings? Was that the purpose of the union? (Didn't want to open the packaging and try fitting as it was going to another customer.) Saw the ReefMat in person at local fish store for the first time today. Need to revise some of my estimates based on measurements I took today and update my design. But don't see anything that would prevent this from working.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the front to back measurement of your sump? How much of that does the ReefMat and plumbing consume? And how did you convert to standard 1" fittings? Was that the purpose of the union? (Didn't want to open the packaging and try fitting as it was going to another customer.) Saw the ReefMat in person at local fish store for the first time today. Need to revise some of my estimates based on measurements I took today and update my design. But don't see anything that would prevent this from working.
A1: 514mm.
A2: 225mm.
A3: I have a Red Sea tank, so everything is already in metric.
A4: The union is so that I can quick detach the hose assembly anytime I need to. The three parts I added can be obtained at Home Depot.

OP
OP
T

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A1: 514mm.
A2: 225mm.
A3: I have a Red Sea tank, so everything is already in metric.
A4: The union is so that I can quick detach the hose assembly anytime I need to. The three parts I added can be obtained at Home Depot.

I found a trick to easily converting to 1" fittings in another thread here on r2r. The non-threaded insert side of a standard PVC union fits inside the threaded inlet coller. So remove the tubing, set it aside, replace with the PVC union insert, thread the coller hand tight and voilá conversion complete. Now I just need to figure out if this can be plumbed to a drain chamber bulkhead and passively intake flow from primary and secondary. Or if I really need to solidly plumb. The diagram above assumes I need to solidly plumb it to my primary, at a minimum, to push flow through the fleece. I'm getting some feedback the bulkhead into the drain chamber may be sifficient. That would certainly be simpler if it works!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back