Reefmat 500 in a Ruby30s

Brianbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone fit a reefmat 500 in a Ruby 30s sump. I just picked up the sump for 190. I'm sure I have to to some cutting, just seeing if anyone else has done it already.

OP
OP
Brianbo

Brianbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I do have it on my current sump, which is just a 20l tank, I'm sure I can make it fit I was just seeing if anyone else had this setup

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the ReefMat yet? It does come with legs - so maybe that will do the trick.

I second using the legs.

As you have one OP, you already know the short comings of the reefmat, your gonna have to use the feet instead of hanging it as the brace on the trigger sump is like 1.5" inches or so across. I had one for a bit on a ruby cube sump that is somewhat like yours.

I can see some adjustments in your future as that sump has a imo high fixed height at like 9" or 9.5". I was able to just lower the height gate to the minimum on the cube that was like 7" or so which worked pretty good to keep the water away from the sensor longer as the overall sump height was lower.

OP
OP
Brianbo

Brianbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha welp hopefully it works out, It was a good price for the sump, I was figuring I was going to use the legs on it

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second using the legs.

As you have one OP, you already know the short comings of the reefmat, your gonna have to use the feet instead of hanging it as the brace on the trigger sump is like 1.5" inches or so across. I had one for a bit on a ruby cube sump that is somewhat like yours.

I can see some adjustments in your future as that sump has an imo high fixed height at like 9" or 9.5". I was able to just lower the height gate to the minimum on the cube that was like 7" or so which worked pretty good to keep the water away from the sensor longer as the overall sump height was lower.
How does the 500 fit in your cube sump, did you have to cut anything? Just picked up the triton cube and unsure if I should do a 250 or 500 Reefmat

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the 500 fit in your cube sump, did you have to cut anything? Just picked up the triton cube and unsure if I should do a 250 or 500 Reefmat
From my experience, the 500 is huge for the drain/skimmer area of the sump on the trigger ruby cube. I moved the skimmer to the fuge area while I was running it. If you have a skimmer in the drain/skimmer chamber, I'd measure the base of it and see if it will fit in the refugium chamber before you buy the reefmat.

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, the 500 is huge for the drain/skimmer area of the sump on the trigger ruby cube. I moved the skimmer to the fuge area while I was running it. If you have a skimmer in the drain/skimmer chamber, I'd measure the base of it and see if it will fit in the refugium chamber before you buy the reefmat.
I don’t have a skimmer but supposedly the 500 is 8.3” and our area is only like 9.25.. 250 seems roomy but our tank is a 65g plus the sump so I wasn’t sure if it would be too little

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a skimmer but supposedly the 500 is 8.3” and our area is only like 9.25.. 250 seems roomy but our tank is a 65g plus the sump so I wasn’t sure if it would be too little
That's up to you... I ran it as a test, got rid of it after 3 months or so. I run another brands roller setup as IDK for red seas equipment or ecosystem and frankly it's not worth the cost to me.

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's up to you... I ran it as a test, got rid of it after 3 months or so. I run another brands roller setup as IDK for red seas equipment or ecosystem and frankly it's not worth the cost to me.
Yeah, it’s hard to gauge when you’ve never used it and trying to plan the future. Thanks for the personal opinion though, it’s nice to hear

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 83 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.2%
Back