Refillable ph probes?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are refillable probes suitable for continuous placement in the tank? I don't hear much about their use in reeftanks. In some freshwater forums people talk about those probes lasting them a decade when kept topped up. Is that realistic in a saltwater setting, in tank or in a automatic alk tester? Is the amount of KCL solution they dump out an issue or insignificant?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can get 2-3 years out of my probe, I'm not upset about buying a brand new one for $55-$75. That's a pretty cheap cost knowing I don't have to worry about stuff being leaked into my tank, or having to refill a probe.

I've never used a refillable one, so I don't know if it's safe or not. I've used both a Pinpoint and (currently) a Neptune Apex pH probe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refillable is fine, and I've used many of them in my tank, but you need to make SURE that the fill hole is not below the water line, or that it is tightly covered somehow. You do not want tank water getting in.

OP
OP
E

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refillable is fine, and I've used many of them in my tank, but you need to make SURE that the fill hole is not below the water line, or that it is tightly covered somehow. You do not want tank water getting in.
Considering that you have used "many", are lifespans like the ones I read for freshwater tanks of 10 years and more, not attainable in salt water? It'd be a bit useless to spend the extra money on one of those and cater to it's needs like you said with the water line etc. , if that doesn't bring an increased lifespan.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering that you have used "many", are lifespans like the ones I read for freshwater tanks of 10 years and more, not attainable in salt water? It'd be a bit useless to spend the extra money on one of those and cater to it's needs like you said with the water line etc. , if that doesn't bring an increased lifespan.

I usually broke probes before they stopped working. Mine were super expensive lab probes (Ross types) left over from a lab I worked at.

I am not sure of the relationship between cost and longevity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back