Reflective bottom.

Shiggknight

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 12, 2017
Messages
285
Reaction score
557
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever put reflective sheeting on the bottom of the tank to get more light exposure? Maybe even all the way around the tank reflective sheeting to bounce light everywhere.

Is this crazy talk? I’m just curious.
 
I would think the reflective coating would drive the fish nutty. Especially the more aggressive ones that don't get along with their same species. Like a cat trying to fight its reflection in a mirror.
 
I would think the reflective coating would drive the fish nutty. Especially the more aggressive ones that don't get along with their same species. Like a cat trying to fight its reflection in a mirror.
finding nemo fish GIF
yep... my thoughts exactly.
 
I wasn’t looking at from that view just to grow SPS. They need maximum light exposer. Supplemental lighting provides different angles. Would this in theory grow SPS better?
 
If you're talking a Coral only tank, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just ask anyone who has ever grown... Herbs... In their basement. Reflective tents are a must. Unless coral are easily scorched by intense light, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
 
When observing white starboard on a bare bottom, it seems to reflect some amount of lighting upward. No idea how much.

Fish aside, maintaining a clean reflective material on the bottom, or glass clean enough to reflect it back, seems challenging. Not impossible, but over time will get harder and harder. My white starboard is now covered in coraline.
 
I actually have done that using mylar sheeting under the bottom. Keeping it clean was a PITA and it eventually was covered in coralline algae and then GSP. Fish never seemed to care.
 
Or could you hold the light up higher with a reflective skirt to prevent light to spill into the room.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new