Refractometer stiff?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Joined
May 4, 2014
Messages
15,113
Reaction score
22,472
Location
Dallas area
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this refractometer from a friend. It was in his garage - unused- for at least a year. It seems to work just fine and is even still calibrated. (I checked)

The only thing is, the "door?" is very stiff at the hinges. I have to hold it down to the window to view the SG properly. Here is a picture of what I mean.
12592241_1298084513550388_7089232494871366544_n.jpg

See how it stays up like that? My question is: Can I put something on it to loosen it up? I've been told that it's just stiff from not being used and that I need to just "work it out". I've been trying to do that, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any help? Thanks!
 
I can think of a few things but I don't know if it would be safe for the refractometer. You could try a bit of vegetable oil at the hinge and work it in.
 
I just gave this advice five minutes ago:


......the little hinged door needs to swing freely. If it doesn't swing freely, and "close" all the way, you will get a false reading. What I do to lubricate the hinges on the little door, is to shoot a little WD40 into an aperitif glass and then using a toothpick, I dab the WD40 on the hinge parts, swinging them back and forth until they move freely.
 
Thanks guys! I'll give these things a shot. Hopefully I can get it swinging freely again. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new