Refugium and CO2 scrubber compatibility

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could a CO2 scrubber have a negative effect on a refugium (theory being the plants in the fuge need CO2 to grow)?

I’ve been struggling to keep my chaeto healthy. One of the many things I did when trying to revive it was undo my co2 scrubber. Now that my chaeto is improving, I’m considering setting the CO2 scrubber back up, but wanted to get this groups thoughts, before doing so.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could a CO2 scrubber have a negative effect on a refugium (theory being the plants in the fuge need CO2 to grow)?

I’ve been struggling to keep my chaeto healthy. One of the many things I did when trying to revive it was undo my co2 scrubber. Now that my chaeto is improving, I’m considering setting the CO2 scrubber back up, but wanted to get this groups thoughts, before doing so.

I don't think lack of CO2 is the limiting factor for Macroalgae growth. I'd look at other parameters or algae that may be outcompeting the chaeto.

I'm having a similar issue, but have not tracked it down. My chaeto isn't doing great in my refugium. I have plenty of GHA in there and have started dosing ChaetoGro.

OP
OP
K

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to go without water changes, but now recognize chaeto uses up a bunch of trace elements and then starves itself. I did a big water change and have moved to the triton dosing regiment and my chaeto is looking good again.

@Randy Holmes-Farley ... is my concern stated in my subject line a valid concern?

OP
OP
K

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to go without water changes, but now recognize chaeto uses up a bunch of trace elements and then starves itself. I did a big water change and have moved to the triton dosing regiment and my chaeto is looking good again.

@Randy Holmes-Farley ... is my concern stated in my subject line a valid concern?
/bump

anyone have any thoughts on this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many marine macroalgae use bicarbonate instead of CO2 as their source of CO2, so pH is not an issue for them.

If the pH is not "high", then there is certainly no concern. I grew caulerpa and chaeto at pH 8.35 to 8.55, but might they have grown better at pH 8.0? Maybe.

This has more. See Table 1:

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Chaeto has been completely wiped out of the refugium and the remaining Caulerpa Prolifera is not really proliferating as expected (pun intended). My tank pH is always around 8.3 and dKH has been 7.1 to 7.4 which makes me believe that my tank CO2 levels have been below 350 (Marine Tank CO2SYS Table - Google Sheets). I've been struggling with Alk stability and have been trying to normalize around 7.7dKH.

Tank is now 6 months old and has never had any algae to speak of. I've been doing heavy feeding and NO3/PO4 are usually above 0 (last week, I measured NO3 = 3ppm and PO4 = 0.03ppm). I dose ChaetoGro and use a Kessil refugium light.

I'm beginning to suspect that maybe the low CO2 might be impacting my ability to grow Chaeto?

PeterC99

Living The Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Chaeto has been completely wiped out of the refugium and the remaining Caulerpa Prolifera is not really proliferating as expected (pun intended). My tank pH is always around 8.3 and dKH has been 7.1 to 7.4 which makes me believe that my tank CO2 levels have been below 350 (Marine Tank CO2SYS Table - Google Sheets). I've been struggling with Alk stability and have been trying to normalize around 7.7dKH.

Tank is now 6 months old and has never had any algae to speak of. I've been doing heavy feeding and NO3/PO4 are usually above 0 (last week, I measured NO3 = 3ppm and PO4 = 0.03ppm). I dose ChaetoGro and use a Kessil refugium light.

I'm beginning to suspect that maybe the low CO2 might be impacting my ability to grow Chaeto?
The usual culprits for chaeto not growing are three things:

1) Lighting
2) Flow
3) Not enough NO3 & PO4

Probably not CO2.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The usual culprits for chaeto not growing are three things:

1) Lighting
2) Flow
3) Not enough NO3 & PO4

Probably not CO2.

Kessil h160 refugium at full power means it's probably not #1.

Has about 400 gal/h flow, so it's probably not #2.

NO3 / PO4 seem to be in the recommended range.

PeterC99

Living The Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil h160 refugium at full power means it's probably not #1.

Has about 400 gal/h flow, so it's probably not #2.

NO3 / PO4 seem to be in the recommended range.
Is that 400 gal/h flow through the sump or directly through the refugium?

PeterC99

Living The Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through the sump.

The Chaeto was always up against the egg crate interfering with flow. I'm thinking of building an egg crate pen to keep it more contained for my next batch.
Also your NO3 & PO4, while great, are very low. Your corals are completing for those nutrients and there is not much to go around. Also what is your light schedule?

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a co2 scrubber and an algae reactor. I typically dose Kalkwasser. I might go back to all for reef. I mixed up gallons of it months ago so that should help with my trace elements. I have fixed the e leak btw

Attachments

• 7539A367-05CE-4B0F-94D7-243B1FA23499.jpeg
    7539A367-05CE-4B0F-94D7-243B1FA23499.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 25

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back