Refugium clean up crew!?!?!? This a a reattack on the subject.

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get some more input on this subject...I've read alot of post that don't really answer my questions.
I have a 70 gallon reef tank with a 20 gallon sump. All my levels are good except lately I seem to be fight nitrates. I have started doing weekly instead of monthly water changes....about 10-15 gallons. I'll post my levels when I get home tonight.
That being said..I've been running with cemipure in my sock, but I'm thinking my refugium just doesn't get enough flow. I put a airstone in it bit my cheato still seems to hold a bunch of waste ( and it's not really growing) I hate pulling it out and rinsing it as it really kills the copepod levels and I hate to try and shake it off as it ends up blowing into the DT and I believe will jack my nitrates.
I was thinking maybe a small power head and some live rock in the bottom with a small cleanup crew...snails reef hermits ect.
Anyone doing or delt with this. Would love to hear your inputs.
UPDATE...
So i should have also noted that about 3 weeks ago i manged to knock down my whole reef. Yes i was trying to get to a fallen frag, lost my ballance on the step lader and just started grabing...it wasnt pretty. I ended up taking all rock out and rebuilt it. Which obviously stirred up everything.
seems like that started the high levels. It was over 5 ppm.
Not really an issue to my tank persay, but im still at about just over 4ppm.

20220429_211603.jpg

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define "fighting nitrates". What are the levels and what problems are you having because of this? It looks like your tank is doing well. Are you concerned levels will get out of control?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I never found ChemiPure (Blue or Elite) to have any real impact on nitrates or phosphates. You'll probably see better results with using and discarding filter floss in a media basket or changing out filter socks every 3-5 days.

There may be some benefit to live rock or bio media in your refugium chamber, and a small powerhead to provide more circulation isn't necessarily a bad idea (I have one running in my sump for this express purpose).

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your sock overflowing or something? I keep a small CUC and powerhead in my fuge but the chaeto will clog the pump if it gets too close. The macro stays clean because I have a filter roller before it. Prior to that, filter socks did that. The only time it really got dirty was if they were overflowing.

As for your nitrates, I suggest you feed less to match your filtration/export.

OP
OP
SkyDoodles

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define "fighting nitrates". What are the levels and what problems are you having because of this? It looks like your tank is doing well. Are you concerned levels will get out of control?
So i should have also noted that about 3 weeks ago i manged to knock down my whole reef. Yes i was trying to get to a fallen frag, lost my ballance on the step lader and started grabing...it wasnt pretty. I took all rock out and rebuilt it.
Not really an issue to my tank persay, but im still at about just over 4ppm. I just get worried. Plus I was wondering how to get my refugium to stay cleaner.

OP
OP
SkyDoodles

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I never found ChemiPure (Blue or Elite) to have any real impact on nitrates or phosphates. You'll probably see better results with using and discarding filter floss in a media basket or changing out filter socks every 3-5 days.

There may be some benefit to live rock or bio media in your refugium chamber, and a small powerhead to provide more circulation isn't necessarily a bad idea (I have one running in my sump for this express purpose).
I have been doing that...and it does seem to be going down, bit super slow...I had also knocked my reef down on accident 3 weeks ago, so I have been on high alert and in maintenance mode.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing that...and it does seem to be going down, bit super slow...I had also knocked my reef down on accident 3 weeks ago, so I have been on high alert and in maintenance mode.
Frag retrieval can sometimes be a 2-person job, if only to help point out that you're about to fall into the tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

When the reef got toppled, it probably kicked up a bunch of stuff that was either in the sand bed and/or under the rocks. Changing your filter socks a bit more frequently until your nitrates get back to your normal levels will probably help.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What cuc do you have in the fuge?

I Have an arrow crab that lives in the sump. Passed between each of the compartments on its own cleaning. The huge benefit here being I don't have to worry about bristle worms in the macro.
it also consumes waste. No down side imo.

OP
OP
SkyDoodles

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I Have an arrow crab that lives in the sump. Passed between each of the compartments on its own cleaning. The huge benefit here being I don't have to worry about bristle worms in the macro.
I have cheato only and just the norm critters/pods and bristle worms...I Had a arrow crab in my DT, but my diamond gobie decided to murder him...

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often times, lowering nutrients is a multi step process. More frequent WC being the most effective initially. Changing out your socks more often can often help as well by not allowing the caught waste to break down.

If your levels are climbing, something is out of balance. If you're feeding heavy, you should plan to match heavy export as well.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was actually surprised with ChemiPure Élite. I dont think it will do much for nitrate but it lowered my phosphate from .2 to .05 , hanna ulr, in a week. Used it in a filter tray. Being that checker is +/- .05 it may have striped it completely. I pulled it then but was impressed it actually works.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually surprised with ChemiPure Élite. I dont think it will do much for nitrate but it lowered my phosphate from .2 to .05 , hanna ulr, in a week. Used it in a filter tray. Being that checker is +/- .05 it may have striped it completely. I pulled it then but was impressed it actually works.
ChemiPure Elite will do more for phosphates as it has a fair amount of GFO in it. I just never liked how much of it always seeped out of the bag into the sump.

OP
OP
SkyDoodles

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChemiPure Elite will do more for phosphates as it has a fair amount of GFO in it. I just never liked how much of it always seeped out of the bag into the sump.
I'll take a pic when I get home, but I bag it in an addional filter bag (reusable) saves on the messy clean up when those dang bags break open in the sock.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take a pic when I get home, but I bag it in an addional filter bag (reusable) saves on the messy clean up when those dang bags break open in the sock.
That's probably what I should've done at the time.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep trochus snails in my sump for algae but nothing for detritus currently. You should dose PNS probio which is a natural bacteria supplement that breaks down inorganic left overs in your tank so this detritus does not become nitrate. I also use a chaeto fuge. My tank stays clean now with filter sock changes only once a week. Nitrates stay consistent at 15.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i should have also noted that about 3 weeks ago i manged to knock down my whole reef. Yes i was trying to get to a fallen frag, lost my ballance on the step lader and started grabing...it wasnt pretty. I took all rock out and rebuilt it.
Not really an issue to my tank persay, but im still at about just over 4ppm. I just get worried. Plus I was wondering how to get my refugium to stay cleaner.
4ppm isn't high....if it was 40 ppm, I would be concerned. I had 40 to 30ppm and some of my softies really didn't care.

Just monitor your water parameters, keep to a routine of WC's, detritus management, clean socks, etc.

Your tank looks fine for something that went toppling, good coralline growth, everything looks like it is expanding.

OP
OP
SkyDoodles

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep trochus snails in my sump for algae but nothing for detritus currently. You should dose PNS probio which is a natural bacteria supplement that breaks down inorganic left overs in your tank so this detritus does not become nitrate. I also use a chaeto fuge. My tank stays clean now with filter sock changes only once a week. Nitrates stay consistent at 15.
Lol, that took me forever to put back together to where is was structurally sound and my critters wouldn't have to moved off rocks. Never want to do it again!!!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nitrates are 4ppm I wouldn’t worry too much about it .
If that’s phosphates . Water changes alone do very little .

as for cheato …, washing it is why it’s not growing .
the bugs are very beneficial to your reef .
Let the nutrients increase a little and it will grow like weeds .

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

same here - only place I would have one

OP
OP
SkyDoodles

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nitrates are 4ppm I wouldn’t worry too much about it .
If that’s phosphates . Water changes alone do very little .

as for cheato …, washing it is why it’s not growing .
the bugs are very beneficial to your reef .
Let the nutrients increase a little and it will grow like weeds .
Didn't really wash it, just rinsed/swished it in the water I pulled from the water change. Is that still causing the same issue?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back