refugium help

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i bought a ball of chaeto from algae barn and im wondering if i could use that open section with my return pump as a refugium, i feel like since from what ive heard your skimmer needs to be the last part of the filtration before it reaches the return so it kinda turned me away but i just want some thoughts from other people

IMG_1734.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no issue doing what you want to do, just make sure that no algae passes in through your return pump.

The skimmer may remove elements beneficial to the algae however. Setting up a fuge like yours do involve a wee bit of trail and error.

What are you gonna light it with? And what do you wish to achieve with your fuge?

If you are dead set on running a refugium, it is fairly cheap to build a custom sump to fit your layout and needs :upside-down-face:

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no issue doing what you want to do, just make sure that no algae passes in through your return pump.

The skimmer may remove elements beneficial to the algae however. Setting up a fuge like yours do involve a wee bit of trail and error.

What are you gonna light it with? And what do you wish to achieve with your fuge?

If you are dead set on running a refugium, it is fairly cheap to build a custom sump to fit your layout and needs :upside-down-face:
yeah that’s what i was worried about and plus it’s egg crate i’d probably would need some some of acrylic, there is a small section right after the inlet but it’s at a weird angle so it would just be hard to manage, im just trying to get my nitrates and phosphates down so thats why i got the chaeto ball, they tested at 100 nitrate and 0.163 phosphate, which i know why i just switched over to a sump and skimmer maybe a couple weeks ago and i was over feeding everyday and so now im just gonna have to rely on shorter larger water changes and less feeding and hope for the best

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that’s what i was worried about and plus it’s egg crate i’d probably would need some some of acrylic, there is a small section right after the inlet but it’s at a weird angle so it would just be hard to manage, im just trying to get my nitrates and phosphates down so thats why i got the chaeto ball, they tested at 100 nitrate and 0.163 phosphate, which i know why i just switched over to a sump and skimmer maybe a couple weeks ago and i was over feeding everyday and so now im just gonna have to rely on shorter larger water changes and less feeding and hope for the best
You could do a hang on refuge, or just do an algae scrubber.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back