Refugium help?

bfishb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterbox 70.2 that I want to set up a refugium in, but not sure the best way to go about it. It has a 5 gallon ato that I want to use in the sump. Can you take s look and see if you can help me.
20181202_174617.jpg

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bit small but could work just either put a small pump or come off over your return pump with a tee and valve to push water into the fuge (preferably with the outlet towards the bottom of the fuge) and let it spill back over the top and I'd probably say put a light on the side not over the top to be able to get more surface area. If the sump is acrylic you can cut down the wall on the return pump side then hit it with a torch to smooth out your cuts so that you can direct the flow away from your skimmer for copod sake.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal would remove the sock area. Just fashion an area for water to enter sump, that doesn’t have to go down to the sump floor. Would also have a bubble trap for return pump area

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some folks have plugged the small hole for the ATO line that goes from reservoir to return section. You can use a small pump to push water from the skimmer section up, over and into the reservoir to turn into a fuge. Point the line into the reservoir down and it should get some tumbling action. Then it will fill to the top and spill over into the skimmer section and return section.

I’ve contemplated doing the same thing in my Waterbox sump. The million dollar question I have to answer is how I would want to set up a new reservoir then. Have some ideas but nothing concrete. I’ve also figured to get some black acrylic to silicone into block light from going into the return and skimmer chamber, grow light that is. Hope this helps!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back