Refugium light help

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so I’ve got some sea lettuce growing in my refugium right now the light is pretty bad when it comes to the red light but the blue lights up the whole refugium I just switched it and was wondering if I’m going to get a boost in growth or what would happen if I keep it blue it’s not set to the maximum intensity should I set it to the maximum?
image.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe most algae, like all terrestrial plants, use red, yellow spectrum to do most of their photosynthesis. It's only the zooxanthellae in corals and anemones that use blue spectrum to do most of their photosynthesis.

Your macro algae would do better with red or white light than it will with blue.

I have a tank that I put rocks or frag plugs into that have algae issues. Some reefers run 3 days of lights out (or dark tank) to cut down algae growth. I've found my corals and anemones do fine if I run all blue light (sides of the tank are covered so no outside light gets in) and the algae dies back. So I'm not limited to just 3 days. I've had corals in all blue light for several weeks. The corals do just fine and the algae dies off.

I hope this helps?

Back