External refugium

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
Thinking about having a 20-30g external refugium as a display tank rather than hiding it away I wanted to put it on the opposite side of the room from the main tank I would have to run the water lines up across the ceiling and down to the refugium what size pump would be ok for this as I think it would have to have a good staic head pressure if my thinking is right.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends how high up you're needing the water to go. As long as the pump you select can handle the necessary head pressure, it should work just fine. How are you intending to return the water from the refugium to the main tank?

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends how high up you're needing the water to go. As long as the pump you select can handle the necessary head pressure, it should work just fine. How are you intending to return the water from the refugium to the main tank?
Thanks for the reply
For the return back to the main tank couldn't I use another pump and try to match the flow with first pump.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply
For the return back to the main tank couldn't I use another pump and try to match the flow with first pump.
Generally speaking that’s a recipe for disaster - you might get them to March temporarily but eventually one of the tanks will overflow as the pumps fall out of sync due to interference as they become dirty or other factors. You want pump and drain, not two pumps relying on each other.

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking that’s a recipe for disaster - you might get them to March temporarily but eventually one of the tanks will overflow as the pumps fall out of sync due to interference as they become dirty or other factors. You want pump and drain, not two pumps relying on each other.
I don't think Im going to be able to do it then as the return/ drain would have to follow the line from the main tank with the pump up and across the ceiling.the drain line wouldn't have enough pressure to get back to the main tank

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back