Refugium Light Spill in Fluval Evo 13.5

vreef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2018
Messages
28
Reaction score
20
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a refugium light (IM Chaetomax) for chamber one (with chaeto) of my fluval evo 13.5.

I only have the display light and I currently run it for 9.5 hours. As of now, the refugium light is on for 9 hours reverse cycle.

Unfortunately, there is some light spill (through the side of the false wall) into the tank and it hits my bird's nest. I'm hoping as my chaeto grows it will block more of the light...

How harmful will this be? Does the blue/purple/red light make a difference?

Thoughts / suggestions?

refugiumlightspill.jpeg
 
Last edited:
It’ll Actually use that light. Probably not an issue though.

A cheap in tank solution would be black , plastic canvas.
Cut a couple pieces to fit and stuff em in there.
 
Was just thinking the same, black canvas? Like the things people put behind tanks - wasn’t aware that could go inside the tank.

FBB90BA3-3B23-49DE-9624-F0811AA60661.jpeg
 
So after a day of hunting and researching what can survive in saltwater, I went with a kitchen cutting mat, and cut it to fit the intank chamber 1 ordeal just on the side where it leaks in. I also put some screen door on the intank to stop the chaeto from floating out and it all seems pretty solid at the moment, no bleed through..

Also put black vinyl on the outside I’ll cut it to size later. (it’s in my bedroom)
Walmart cutting matt


1EF1E98E-74A2-4BA5-8310-B719C2D2224F.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new