Refugium light spillage questions

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I probably wont be using my refugium on a brand new tank for awhile but I want to pre-plan as much as I can to save the headache in the future, right now after testing out the light spot I wanted to ask if I should be worried about light spillage. Im using the fiji baffle kit on a 29 gallon aqaurium as my sump, unfortunately not all the pieces they provide are blacked out and a lot of light is making its way into the filter sock section. Is it worth the effort to black out that side? If so any recommendations for a marine safe paint on acrylic or other options, maybe plastic sheet not sure.

20210427_175640.jpg
20210427_175731.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think im gonna get this and cut/ziptie it to the side of the acrylic, seems like the best option rn

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I probably wont be using my refugium on a brand new tank for awhile but I want to pre-plan as much as I can to save the headache in the future, right now after testing out the light spot I wanted to ask if I should be worried about light spillage. Im using the fiji baffle kit on a 29 gallon aqaurium as my sump, unfortunately not all the pieces they provide are blacked out and a lot of light is making its way into the filter sock section. Is it worth the effort to black out that side? If so any recommendations for a marine safe paint on acrylic or other options, maybe plastic sheet not sure.

20210427_175640.jpg
20210427_175731.jpg
i wouldn't add anything if it already hasn't been implemented.
the most important piece to blackout is the skimmer chamber (which looks good) but chances are you'll probably still get very modest amounts of algae growing in the neck of your skimmer. to get around it just make a point of wiping the neck of your skimmer every time you clean the collection cup.
the waterline of your filter sock chamber will also get a little but likely not enough to worry about.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't worried with it being foam board? I am looking for a solution as well but my sump is up and running already.
Ive used the same stuff in another tank for years without problems, it was freshwater though.. Now you got me worried lol might take it out. Or email the manufactor and ask, will decide tonight.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used LAMINATED Mylar sheeting. Blocks the light and reflects it back into the Algae chamber. Don't put the Mylar sheet directly into the tank without LAMINATING it first. You really don't even have to ask me how I know! ;Facepalm;)

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get heat resistant black vinyl/rubber sheets (stuff you use to hold cooking pans) and line the glass walls with it. I use it around my scrubber so it does not melt from the heat of the leds.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get heat resistant black vinyl/rubber sheets (stuff you use to hold cooking pans) and line the glass walls with it. I use it around my scrubber so it does not melt from the heat of the leds.
will vinyl/rubber de-grade and or leach any chemicals in salt water?

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pvc-foam-sheets-use-in-reed-tanks.343765/ Just took out that sheet I had in there, only one remaining is outside of the water blocking light from the top of the divider between the refug and skimmer. Apparently could have been leaching tin, all my inverts are doing great so i doubt it leached much if any but dont want to take chances.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back