Refugium question?

ericsch12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been in the salt a fresh water tanks for many years and have always had algae issues. What a pain to try and manage it so your tank looks nice. Recently i was told by a fish store to limit the lighting to 3 to 4 hours a day if its just a swim tank. I guess my question would be is this OK for the fish? I am assuming it would not be if i ever wanted live rock setup. I am researching building my own refugium and was also wondering if the Skimmer is really needed. I have owned two in the past and they never seemed to pull much out and was constantly having to adjust the whirlpool for bubbles. I have pretty good filters. Almost double whats needed for a 90 gallon. Would doing the refugium with 2 pond pumps. 3 compartment first has a 800 hrpump and pumice stones for bio media then refugium in center leading into another compartment with 800 gallon hr moving back to tank?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Be sure to say hello in the meet and greet section :).. 3 or 4 hours of light would be fine for a fish only tank while your fighting algae. Lots of people don’t run skimmers so it’s doable especially if you have a effective refugium.

BD3270E7-31AE-4AF8-8337-51AEC4B3747A.gif

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back