Refugium separate from sump

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if I should add a refugium outside of sump using a “u” tube to connect sump to refugium, and a uv sterilizer w/ built in pump to bring water back to the sump. Uv sterilizer can handle 75 gph and my sump pump can handle 515 gph not including head pressure. I currently have a 10 gal sump w/ a reef octopus protein skimmer and the refugium is also 10 gal. I did this method bc I felt that 515 gph would be too much going through a ten gallon refugium. Thoughts?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a separate refugium is a good idea.

As far as the water flow you can set up the plumbing so that a small part of the water goes to the refugium and the rest directly to the sump.

my .02

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it might be easier to upgrade to a refugium/sump all in one

My concern would be the u-tube losing siphon. What size/type of tank are you running?

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot,

Welcome to the group

upload_2019-3-17_15-40-33.gif

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply back. The reason I decided to run fug/ sump separately is due to the way my stand is built. There are two sections on the side big enough to fit a 10 gal each and a small section in the middle that is used for support/ shelving. I was thinking about running the u tube behind the stand w/ both 10 gal tanks sticking out the back of the stand 2-3’.

My display tank is 55 gal

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean/how the u-tube would be set up. If both tanks are on same level a u-tube would not work. With 3 seperate tanks running matching water flow will be tricky as well.

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean/how the u-tube would be set up. If both tanks are on same level a u-tube would not work. With 3 seperate tanks running matching water flow will be tricky as well.
I won’t be matching water flow between display, sump and refugium. The sump will be pulling some 400 gph while the refugium will be “feeding” off the sump using a u-tube . The uv sterilizer w/ built in pump will pull water back to the sump creating its own loop. Don’t forget that the uv sterilizer only pulls 75 gph.

Im probably missing a big piece of the puzzle but it sounds like it would work in my head.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, sounds interesting.

Last question would be how will the refuge pull the water from the sump. A u-tube is gravity fed to start a siphon. If both are on the same level not sure how it would work. The return sound good with the uv having its own pump.

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t be matching water flow between display, sump and refugium. The sump will be pulling some 400 gph while the refugium will be “feeding” off the sump using a u-tube . The uv sterilizer w/ built in pump will pull water back to the sump creating its own loop. Don’t forget that the uv sterilizer only pulls 75 gph.

Im probably missing a big piece of the puzzle but it sounds like it would work in my head.
If I'm understanding this correctly you would be using the UV sterilizer feed as a return from the refugium into the sump. I'm always wary about u-tubes and losing siphon so consider me a +1 to that. As for using the UV sterilizer feed pump I personally would not. I would be concerned about the effect it would have on the pods I'm trying to grow out in the refugium and then feed back into the tank. Some people will debate whether or not pods will survive the pump, but it's been my experience that enough do to feed my wrasses :)

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, sounds interesting.

Last question would be how will the refuge pull the water from the sump. A u-tube is gravity fed to start a siphon. If both are on the same level not sure how it would work. The return sound good with the uv having its own pump.
I understand what ur saying now. I think I’ll have to make some room in my stand by taking out the shelf’s then reinforce my stand w/ 2 by 4’s and get a 35 gal breeder n divide it up. For now I’ll just be running my 10 gal sump w/ protein skimmer and media. Thanks for the help!

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the danger of losing syphon... that could be disastrous.
While u tubes can break siphon, it should not cause a flood. Likewise drains can plug.

One or the sump setup tests (which I was not initially aware of) is to fail the drain/overflow and insure the sump runs dry before the display floods.

my .02

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back