Refugium Substrate? What do you prefer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jeremy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

What substrate is in your refugium?


  • Total voters
    7

jeremy

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 17, 2012
Messages
716
Reaction score
144
Location
iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am gonna have a refugium in first section of my sump. Looking for recommendations on substrate.
The fuge will have several types of macro algae in it. And hopefully a ton of pods. I have had sand, mud, and bare bottom in the past and all seem to work well but want more opinions/experience on it. It's not gonna be full of Chateo to probably more display type macro algaes. I want it to be full of life.
So what do you prefer and why?
 
I am gonna have a refugium in first section of my sump. Looking for recommendations on substrate.
The fuge will have several types of macro algae in it. And hopefully a ton of pods. I have had sand, mud, and bare bottom in the past and all seem to work well but want more opinions/experience on it. It's not gonna be full of Chateo to probably more display type macro algaes. I want it to be full of life.
So what do you prefer and why?
Please specify substrate depth and brand you use. Thanks.
 
I've got about an inch and a half of CaribSea's "Ocean Direct" sand in both of my 'fuges (HOB and in-sump), with another inch and a half or so of Fiji mud underneath it. I consider myself a total newbie, though . . .

~Bruce
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new