Refugium - what’s in yours

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two large bags of ceramic rings on floor, one large bioblock, chaeto, caulpera (grape variety) which I want out but keeps coming back, two tunicates that just showed up, snails, pods,. I dont worry about detritus. That’s part of the whole bio balance. Removing it would require a rebalancing somehow. As long as parameters are in control, I let nature do its thing and leave the sump “dirt” alone.

BobT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio cubes and sea lettuce - adding cheato soon

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sand,
Live rock to within 3" of top of water, then mat of chaeto, divide in 1/2 every 2 or 3 weeks.
Pods and snails.
Interesting... Do you have a pic of your fuge?
This sounds like something I may try. Right now I just have rubble on bottom Of fuge and macro algae, snails and hermits.

Luke’s reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump will have rock rubble and cheato once it cycles. Maybe in the future ill have a layer of sand to add a few different macro algae's but for now building a good pod population in the rubble is the aim.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... Do you have a pic of your fuge?
This sounds like something I may try. Right now I just have rubble on bottom Of fuge and macro algae, snails and hermits.
Will try to get one later after cleaning salt splash.
The rock keeps the chaeto higher in the water, better par.

OP
OP
A

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some concerns with going with other macros than cheato? Some can go asexual and reproduce and get into the man tank?

Is cheato the best for nutrient absorption?

E_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thread- seeing some sweet fuge setups here- I keep rock, chaeto, a few mangroves and I just added some halmedia. There is some hair algae in there that I try to remove when doing water changes. I have been thinking about reducing the rock and growing more macro algae.
961380DC-BE2B-4D01-965B-428EB55F910B.jpeg
399C69C5-F13F-4D14-9860-895AD61DC230.jpeg

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some concerns with going with other macros than cheato? Some can go asexual and reproduce and get into the man tank?

Is cheato the best for nutrient absorption?
Cheato grows fast and is easy to prune, but i don't like the look and prefer other macroalgae like fern caulerpa, plus any bits that make their way to DT gets eaten by my Yellot Tang and lawnmover blenny. They love it.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have sand and cheato? Just cheato? Any cuc?

Packed Chaeto (grows back as quickly as I removed it), a couple of types of worms, some Marine Pure cubes for Pod hiding places, all kinds of Pods, Brittle Stars, and other cool stuff that I find when I pay attention.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humm
Well I have rock, Trochus snails, three Peppermint shrimp, dozzens of Pineapple sponges, and a diy Algae Scrubber.
So far my Chato attempts have failed.

TJD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Pure Cubes (2 inch), Chaeto, Pods, Tunze EcoChic Refugium Light

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miracle mud with the AI prime fuge grows a variety of macros in my fuge I separate the reds in Drilled specimen containers to aid in their survival as the chaeto and more aggressive varieties will choke them out.

81676882-4CEC-486A-A6F9-1C9FE01414CD.jpeg B5D43EA0-94C0-49DD-A80D-A039F375A800.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of separating the various algae, as you stated cheato will choke out the others

so why red macro? Do fish eat it?

do different macros pull/use different nutrients out of the water column?

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I win the awards for 1. Ugliest sump ever. 2. New use for cotton candy Macroalgae No red stuff in the DT. Skimmer on other side of red plastic barrier(Keeps the skimmer from growing algae in it) with two mesh socks. Bag full of charcoal hangs over DC return pump. Million pods and harvest fist full of red stuff weekly. Who knew?
s
image.jpg
image.jpg

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question, for those of you running Skimmers also, are they before or after your fuge? do you think it even matters?

Doesn't really matter for most setups. If you want to try the "Triton Method" then they recommend the refugium before the skimmer so that the macroalgae and other microfauna can up-take what nutrients they need before the skimmer removes it. That's what I'll be doing and I bought a sump setup specifically for Triton (the Trigger Systems Triton 20v2). The fuge is before the skimmer and can hold approximately 9 gallons (needs to be approx 10% of tank volume for this method.) The skimmer and return sections are adequate but smaller than what I've seen on most non-trident sumps. I bought an appropriately sized skimmer (Reef Octopus Essense S-130) and ended up putting my over-sized return pump outside the sump and have the intake plumbed up and over the side of the sump with a strainer that keeps the intake about 2-3 inches off the bottom.

Fuge has some marinepure 2x2" blocks and left-over dry rock. I'll see if the marinepure makes a difference on my first ICP test. No livestock yet... probably going to stock up from ipsf.com.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back