Refugiums vs Algae Turf Scrubbers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shep
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
6,864
Reaction score
6,574
Location
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that these are both a way to help eliminate excess nutrients but what are the pros and cons of each? Which do you think is better and why?
 
I used caulerpa in a refugium for years. It was great at keeping low nutrients, but it was a constant losing battle trying to keep the caulerpa from escaping the refugium and growing in the the display tank. I was never able to grow chaeto, I assume because it could not compete with the caulerpa.

My current tank uses an ATS. I love it. So far it seems just as effective at nutrient control and so far the turf algae has not tried to take over the display tank. I'll never go back to caulerpa.
 
ATS do seem to have less hassle associated with them and are a little easier to set up and maintain.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new