Regal Angel in Aggressive FOWLR? Will it work?

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was offered an adult Regal Angel in trade and took the offer but I'm not sure if it will last in my tank of savages.

I've had my Emp for a while and it's a real bully. Sohal Tang is always a jerk for a week or so.

The fish are big -

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1708620257072.png

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It will most likely not work. Regal Angels are docile and timid fish, difficult to get established. Regal angels should go in first before more aggressive fishes.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once established, the ones that I have had were not pushovers, but also did not start any fights. The only chance that you have is if it is strong willed and been in captivity for some time already and is already tough.

It will not be able to defend it's self if that Clown Trigger decides to snap. For that matter, the Emp will not be able to either and the only chance that the Sohal has is to keep away from it.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above. That’s the fish you want to add early on.

If it’s already settled and eating you could try keeping it in a large acclimation box for a few weeks. That’s not a guarantee that it will work, but it improves your odds.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was offered an adult Regal Angel in trade and took the offer but I'm not sure if it will last in my tank of savages.

I've had my Emp for a while and it's a real bully. Sohal Tang is always a jerk for a week or so.

The fish are big -

I have my regal in a more aggressive fowlr tank (tangs, triggers, eels, lionfish) and she is a tank boss. Also a bully to new fish! I did add her very early on and the triggers, eels and tangs after her so thats probably why. Lots of stuff Ive seen talks about them not doing well if added later on down the road so Im not sure it would do well in your tank if its constantly bullied

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once established, the ones that I have had were not pushovers, but also did not start any fights. The only chance that you have is if it is strong willed and been in captivity for some time already and is already tough.

It will not be able to defend it's self if that Clown Trigger decides to snap. For that matter, the Emp will not be able to either and the only chance that the Sohal has is to keep away from it.

Clown is only aggressive during feeding at the moment.

Sohal is my biggest worry, always. I hadn’t added fish in awhile added the golden puff assiassi no cares about either but for some reason it won’t leave the blueline trigger alone. It’s much faster than the triggers much more agile. I should probably get rid of it but I’ve been saying that for a year or so…lol.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided against it, thinking about a French or Queen now…thoughts?
ah saw this after I commented! I have a french in the same tank as my regal, he can be a pill, mine is growing fairly quickly too. He held his own when the tangs went after him like a wolf pack and my regal bullying him for 2 weeks or so now everyone is fine

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It will most likely not work. Regal Angels are docile and timid fish, difficult to get established. Regal angels should go in first before more aggressive fishes.
Did you ever get your captive bred regal you were asking about??

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regals are hit or miss. Mostly miss on aggression. But there have been a few that break the mold.

I’ve owned 4. 3x were very timid fish. My current one snapped on his mate one day and had to rehome her. Think they were just too close in size.

The bandit owns the tank. But even she gets it back from the regal when the occasional chasing starts.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided against it, thinking about a French or Queen now…thoughts?
I have both in my 240 FOWLR. Both are great fish. All Holocanthus Angels become aggressive in time, so I’d make the Queen your last planned addition. The French will hold its own but mine isn’t overly boisterous, and it’s a full 8 inches.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in my 240 FOWLR. Both are great fish. All Holocanthus Angels become aggressive in time, so I’d make the Queen your last planned addition. The French will hold its own but mine isn’t overly boisterous, and it’s a full 8 inches.
Agree with you on the french, thats how mine is

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back