Regal with spots

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
I’ve had this regal tang 2 weeks now and he was perfect until yesterday I saw him flashing and inspected him only to see about a dozen spots , white
I did add a fire fish on Wednesday but he and all others are fine
I’ll try to get a picture but I’m wondering if given he’s 2 weeks clear can ich still pop up?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A
Guys,
I’ve had this regal tang 2 weeks now and he was perfect until yesterday I saw him flashing and inspected him only to see about a dozen spots , white
I’ll try to get a picture but I’m wondering if given he’s 2 weeks clear can ich still pop up?
Any stressful event can lead to ich and some fish are carriers but do not show clear symptoms. A picture under white light would definitely help.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
2 weeks after exposure or a stress event (like moving the fish) is just about when most fish start to show ich trophonts.

If you post a picture and video under white light, we may be able to confirm your diagnosis.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any need to panic yet? Dose something for instance? He’s well fat and otherwise healthy, I feed 5 times a day , brine,mysis,krill,nori

Attachments

• IMG_2705.png
    IMG_2705.png
    1 MB · Views: 17

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Any need to panic yet? Dose something for instance? He’s well fat and otherwise healthy, I feed 5 times a day , brine,mysis,krill,nori
These are mucus cones likely mixed in with ich as indicated ich by Jay
Your best recommendation is to treat as if treating for ich with coppersafe for 30 days at 2.25 copper level
Other fish may not show signs of this but keep an eye on them for any appearance

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are mucus cones likely mixed in with ich as indicated ich by Jay
Your best recommendation is to treat as if treating for ich with coppersafe for 30 days at 2.25 copper level
Other fish may not show signs of this but keep an eye on them for any appearance
I can’t add copper to a reef , any reef safe solutions?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity. All coral, inverts and algae need to be removed though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You say can’t but there has to be a method as it only worsens every 24 hrs
A quarantine tank can be a basic tank kit from Walmart or even a Rubbermaid tub

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef so need a reef safe method , this is 2024 not 1990 there must be something now?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef so need a reef safe method , this is 2024 not 1990 there must be something now?

Nope - not really. There are tons of products out there that claim to be reef safe treatments for ich, but none of them have good track records, and some are just snake oil. It is disheartening, but there is NO oversight to proprietary fish medications, people can bottle up anything they want and make claims about it, and no agency will correct them, only the market will (when their products fail, people stop buying them).

Assuming this turns out to be ich and not just mucus plugs, your best bet would be coppersafe or hyposalinity of all exposed fish (no inverts of course). You next best bet would be a comprehensive course of ich management. That is not as good of a solution, and often fails, but it works pretty well if you catch the infection soon enough:

Jay

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regals perfect now, 6 meals a day consisting of nori, mysis, brine , krill and he’s fat as f%#€
Ozone running during the night might have helped

Back