Relative Safety of Glass vs Acrylic in Nano Aquariums

reeferals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically, acrylic aquarium seams, with proper material thickness and construction should form a chemical bond and be stronger than their silicone bonded glass counterparts.

Would this potential seam strength benefit of acrylic over glass and silicone be worth the added maintenance and care that comes with acrylic aquariums?

Essentially, would a nano aquarium (say under 30 gallons) be any more likely to fail with glass/silicone seams than with acrylic? I'm planning a new aquarium and any thoughts/ opinions are appreciated!

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Structurally that size tank shouldn’t make a difference. The likelihood of it getting scratched up if you do it out of acrylic would be way more of a concern to me.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a small nano aquarium i dont think an acrylic has much benefit over a glass aquarium strength wise.
Say you have a 1’x1’x1’ aquarium.

we are only talking .43 psi. Sure the acrylic will weight less but not enough to make a difference on smaller aquariums.

if you live where there are earthquakes id probably go with acrylic for the 30.

OP
OP
R

reeferals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Structurally that size tank shouldn’t make a difference. The likelihood of it getting scratched up if you do it out of acrylic would be way more of a concern to me.
Scratching is definitely something I've been considering. I've also read the most acrylic scratches can be buffed out, it's just more work.

In a small nano aquarium i dont think an acrylic has much benefit over a glass aquarium strength wise.
Say you have a 1’x1’x1’ aquarium.

we are only talking .43 psi. Sure the acrylic will weight less but not enough to make a difference on smaller aquariums.

if you live where there are earthquakes id probably go with acrylic for the 30.

I agree that with smaller tanks there wouldn't be much of a strength benefit with so little water. I think my train of thought was going towards the longevity and durability of an acrylic bond vs a glass/silicone one. I currently live in an apartment and expect to move again in the next few years so the strength of the tank is especially important to me.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part unless your sloshing water back and forth in them a 30 gallon glass aquarium will probably outlast the acrylic simply because of scratches if talking many years of just people passing by it, cleaning, rock falls over etc.

always empty before moving, and lay off the urchins, will last a very long time.
one of my favorite dimensions is a 33 gallon long. 1x1x4’.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 114 77.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back