Relentless Cloudy Water During Cycle

300GallonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, back in the hobby after taking some time off - set up a 300g bare bottom with liferock Dry Live Rock almost 30 days ago. Since there was nothing live in the system, it was filled with conditioned tap water / instant ocean, and left to do its thing. A week later, I added about 12lbs of live rock from an established system, dosed Fritz TurboStart, added MarinePure Brick to the sump - and overnight, the entire tank was partially cloudy. I left the protein skimmer off for the first 5 days after dosing TurboStart, and when I turned it back on - it started pulling out some waste from the tank as I would expect.

I carefully monitored water parameters while I waited for the tank to do go through its cycle, tested every few days, and almost a month later - Ammonia is finally 0, Nitrite is 0, and Nitrate is 3ppm. But my tank is still cloudy, almost like there's a white haze while the lights are turned on. I was under the impression that this would be a typical bacterial bloom, last a week while it ate up nutrients, and then begin to clear up - but, I'm at the 3 week mark of cloudy water and it's looking no better over time.

I'm currently growing what appears to be diatoms + small patches of hair algae around the bottom of the tank and on the rocks, running the skimmer 24/7, running filter floss / filter socks, and lighting the tank about 2 hours per day. Currently have 2 Firefish in the tank which were recently added a few days ago, I've kept feeding light, and they seem to be doing okay - but I can't help but be concerned that the cloudy water hasn't gotten better. All top offs are done with 4-Stage RO/DI. Also showing 0 Phosphate, 8.1 pH, 1.026 salt, 11.5 ALK, 446 CA, 1238 MG, and 192 ORP from APEX. Any thoughts? I'm inclined to hope this just clears up on its own, but I'm worried that a bacterial bloom lasting over 3 weeks is a bit unusual without any signs of getting better.

The attached picture is looking down the entire length of the tank - front to back, it's hard to get an accurate picture.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 10.50.24 AM.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try running a bunch of carbon to pull out the cloudy stuff

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cycling my tank currently and it just went through a bacteria bloom making the water cloudy. It eventually went away after a few days of just letting it run the course. Here it is today after being super cloudy on Friday.

I don’t have any lights on it as I’m trying to avoid most of the ugly phase for the first couple of months. Mine looked just like your photo above. Almost looked like a mist rolling through the tank.

EE91D4EA-2AB2-4D75-88B0-16AA74CDF2EE.jpeg

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back