Remora c nano Skimmer, help

Joe b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just bought my nano Skimmer, any tips on getting the foam to the cup. It has the maxi 900 on it, its making foam, and going half way up the collection tube, very little is making it to the cup. Any suggestions? I know there is gunk in the water, I overfeed! Thanx Joe

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upgrade to mj1200, also give it time to break in before upgrading, perhaps a few days.

OP
OP
J

Joe b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told to jump up to the 1200, just worried about the heat it will produce. Also, I bought the Skimmer off of another reefer so it should be broke in, but I don't know how long it sat unused.

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worrie about the foam not going all the way to the top unless you are trying to wet skimm

I have the cpr backpack skimmer and the foam barely goes into the uplift tube yet I get dark skimmate from the skimmer and have to empty and clean it about 2x a week this is actualy about what you want

I also have noticed it produces more foam at night instead of the day what I would recomend is actualy lowering your cup to get a wetter skim

other than that I agree upgrade to the mj1200 you wont realy produce any more heat with that pump

Biertrinker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up? How long have you been using the skimmer? Do you have any new plastics in your tank (lubricants might inhibit foam production)? Any water treatments you are using?

I have an AquaC (MJ1200 and the Prefilter box) on a 30 gal with two small ocellaris and a gramma. For several months I had almost no skimmate, even with the cup set nearly as low as it could go. I neglected any skimmer maintenance b/c I thought the skimmer was still breaking in (and b/c I was lazy). After three months or so, the cup had about 1/4" of skimmate. I decided to clean the skimmer to see if that would make a difference. To my surprise, the foam tower was about halfway obstructed with scum that had slowly deposited up the inside of the tube into the cup.

After I cleaning the tower, I get about 1/4" of skimmate and scrup the tower with a toothbrush every two or three days.

OP
OP
J

Joe b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx for the replies. Tank has been up 7 mths. Skimmer running 4 days and has started to produce wet skimate. About a cm in for days, so its doing the job now. I do add alk buffer to top off water. Thanx again. If I have any negatives ill let ya know. Thanx Joe. Happy reefing

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back