Remote fuge for Triton method?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170316_103949.jpg
I have a 110gal display tank with a eshopps r300 sump.
I was to try the Triton method but the fuge section in my sump is too small.

Could I use a 10 or 20 gal tank remotely for the fuge?

My idea is to use an overflow box (I have 2 lying astound) to the external fuge and a return pump.

My questions are......

Would this work?
Would I want the return to go straight to the tank putt to the eshopps sump?
What considerations would I need to think about?
Is there anything I'm not thinking about that I should be?

Thanks in advance.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it would work. It's essentially just another sump thats a dedicated fuge. I would go overflow to sump to fuge back to tank

dirtdobber06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 120 set up with a 10 gallon fuge next to the sump. I opted to use a small pump in my sump to pump into the refugium because I'm worried if I put dt overflow directly into the fuge the overflow I have will not handle the flow and dump water on floor. If the overflow you have can handle the flow you could go dt to fuge to sump. This would be the flow pattern recommend by triton. If the Siphon breaks on the overflow you will have a mess. I am saving up to buy the new trigger sump they designed for triton method. You may save $ in the long run by going this route.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...
I still have a 110gal Display Reef tank with a Eshopps R 300 sump. I have revised my sump setup to accommodate what is needed for the Triton system. I put the skimmer in the fuge area and used the skimmer section for the fuge. I now have about 12 to 14 gallons for algae to grow.. The area for algae is 12 inches high (Actual water height) by 16 inches by 16 inches giving me a water volume of 13.2987 gallons

My question is about lighting for the sump.
I have a long LED (Red and Blue) strip that I had on an algae reactor. It worked well enough but not great. I have moved that light to the sump and I now need to get another light to complement it because it's just not enough on it's own.
I can't get the Kessell (it's not in the budget right now). I am looking at these Amazon specials...

Roleadro UFO 138W LED Grow Light for Home Grower
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RWYCRB2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A2L94QV6P0R9ON&psc=1

RAYWAY 216W Full Spectrum UFO Led Grow Light , Led Plant Growing Flowering Lamps with UV/IR for Indoor Garden Hydroponic System Greenhouse
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXIVY5V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3RDV7P0K36CFQ&psc=1

UFO Led Grow Light, Growstar 150W Full Spectrum Plant Light with Cree COB and Switch for Indoor Plants Seeding, Growing and Flowering. (150w)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07312WKX2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2DFI8RPP7OFTH&psc=1

The 1st light is (supposed to be) 138watt Red, Blue and infared for $39.99

The 2nd light is (Supposed to be) 216watt Red, Blue, Infared and UV for 39.99

The 3rd is light (Supposed to be) 150watt Red,Blue, Infared and UV for $41.99 (Has on/off switch)

Will any of these 3 lights work to GROW algae in the fuge?
Which one would be best and why?

I think I read to remove my UV Sterlizer with the Triton method. Having that in mind, I am concerned about the UV on two of these lights. Should I be worried about the UV light with the lights i'm looking at?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back