Return pump question

dayttu17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all,

I am getting into saltwater due to my daughters wanting a “Nemo”

I have a question regarding return pump from my sump.

Setup is a 20 gallon with a eshopps s overflow down into a 29 gallon diy sump. Calculated Head is 5’ including 2 45s and 1 90 + 3’ pvc. Return is 3/4”.

Looking at a syncra silent but not sure which size I should get. Originally had landed on the 1 but not sure if it will be sufficient.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly would not worry about it too much. You will be getting most of your flow from wave makers. The 1 will probably end up being just over 100gph which is more than enough for filtration and to get heat and air to the tank from the heater/skimmer.

OP
OP
D

dayttu17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly would not worry about it too much. You will be getting most of your flow from wave makers. The 1 will probably end up being just over 100gph which is more than enough for filtration and to get heat and air to the tank from the heater/skimmer.
Thank you very much for your help and reply!

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo, it is better if the water flow through the sump is in the 2-5x tank volume range.

Triton_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max head for this pump is 5 ft, so you're likely going to get a trickle and leaves you no extra as the pump output decreases over time.

Your initial assessment was correct. This will not be enough pump for your described head. I'd recommend you size up to at least the syncra 2.0 and this will likely put you in the around 187 gph under ideal conditions. These pumps have flow control so you can adjust it back as necessary.

Pump curves from Sicce

Screenshot 2024-03-24 174912.png

OP
OP
D

dayttu17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max head for this pump is 5 ft, so you're likely going to get a trickle and leaves you no extra as the pump output decreases over time.

Your initial assessment was correct. This will not be enough pump for your described head. I'd recommend you size up to at least the syncra 2.0 and this will likely put you in the around 187 gph under ideal conditions. These pumps have flow control so you can adjust it back as necessary.

Pump curves from Sicce

Screenshot 2024-03-24 174912.png
Oh awesome! Thank you so much. I saw the curve but couldn’t even begin to understand it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back