Removal of Live Rock

Gettie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contamination from Ick my Racoon Butterfly has ick, treating with API Ick Super Cure, removed all rock and put in fresh water, so my fish are in empty only sand. Just started yesterday, but now the Racoon Butterfly is stopped eating today. Will continue with API Super Cure dose tommorow which will be second dose . Any help on this matter. Going to use this as a quarantine tank after get rid of ick. All other fish seem to be ok but sure they have it too, just can't can't see it yet. Have 3 damsels,4 clowns shrimp, and firefish. Lost my Red Angel . Any help on this matter

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Contamination from Ick my Racoon Butterfly has ick, treating with API Ick Super Cure, removed all rock and put in fresh water, so my fish are in empty only sand. Just started yesterday, but now the Racoon Butterfly is stopped eating today. Will continue with API Super Cure dose tommorow which will be second dose . Any help on this matter. Going to use this as a quarantine tank after get rid of ick. All other fish seem to be ok but sure they have it too, just can't can't see it yet. Have 3 damsels,4 clowns shrimp, and firefish. Lost my Red Angel . Any help on this matter
Super ich cure is a malachite green oxalate and ineffective opposed to other ich treatments. I highly recommend to a chelated form of copper treatment- Copper safe in quarantine tank you mentioned for a FULL 30 days- no less and add aeration during treatment. You want to monitor the copper level with a reliable test kits and also monitor ammonia levels during treatment.
Also - plan on leaving the display tank without fish for 5-6 weeks to assure parasites die off without a host fish.
Coral and inverts can remain in the display- just no fish

OP
OP
Gettie

Gettie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super ich cure is a malachite green oxalate and ineffective opposed to other ich treatments. I highly recommend to a chelated form of copper treatment- Copper safe in quarantine tank you mentioned for a FULL 30 days- no less and add aeration during treatment. You want to monitor the copper level with a reliable test kits and also monitor ammonia levels during treatment.
Also - plan on leaving the display tank without fish for 5-6 weeks to assure parasites die off without a host fish.
Coral and inverts can remain in the display- just no fish
What do you recommend? Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What do you recommend? Thanks
Lava rock (which can also leach and has sharp edges) but for sure redwood stone or sandstone as pictured

redwood

1692201418739.png

Sandstone:

1692201441638.png

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'd you put your live rock into freshwater then its no longer live rock because any essential bacteria or microfauna on the rock is now dead so it's like starting completely over there.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all butterfly fish do well with treatments - most do not. I am not an expert on which ones are which, but somebody probably is.

You have to get the sand out too if you want to treat. The sand can absorb/bind medications and especially copper.

Most treatments will end up killing your shrimp if you leave them in the tank.

OP
OP
Gettie

Gettie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all butterfly fish do well with treatments - most do not. I am not an expert on which ones are which, but somebody probably is.

You have to get the sand out too if you want to treat. The sand can absorb/bind medications and especially copper.

Most treatments will end up killing your shrimp if you leave them in the tank.
What about my clean up crew like snails, hermit crabs etc, can they take the copper treatment. Note my butterfly passed away sometime in the night. So sad now only have dart fish, clowns and Damsels. Can my dart fish take the full strength of copper also. Thanks look forward to hearing from you.

OP
OP
Gettie

Gettie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about my clean up crew like snails, hermit crabs etc, can they take the copper treatment. Note my butterfly passed away sometime in the night. So sad now only have dart fish, clowns and Damsels. Can my dart fish take the full strength of copper also. Thanks look forward to hearing from you.
And I'd you put your live rock into freshwater then its no longer live rock because any essential bacteria or microfauna on the rock is now dead so it's like starting completely over there.
ok Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back