Remove diatoms to help chaeto grow?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is my chaeto is just withering away. I suspect the Diatoms are sucking away everything in the water and out competing it. I've read in some threads to not remove the diatoms until they start dying off. Should I just pull out the chaeto for now and buy a new ball once the diatoms die off? I started to dose a small amount of chaeto grow to see if it made an impact for a week. I noticed no new growth so i stopped dosing as to not increase any micros since it doesn't seem like the chaeto is using it.

I suspect its diatoms becomes it comes off in sheets. Snails are also not dying to it so I assume it isnt dino. It also doesn't seem to be growing on any of my coral.

My tank has only been up for about 3 moths.

Nitrates are normally between 10 and 0. For the past 2 weeks they have been at 0 with testing every 3 days.Phosphate ranges from 0 to .5. I alternate feeding half a cub of mysis, a small pinch of flakes, or enough pellets that each fish gets 3-4 pellets each.

For lighting I'm using a Kessile h380. My light schedule is 8 hours on in the display tank. I have the refugium light come on an hour before lights go out and off when the lights come on.

I had a powerhead in the sump, but it was constantly releasing small bits of chaeto into the tank. Not that big of a deal, but it was just clogging up the filter socks.

My TDS is 0. I assume the silicate is coming from the new substrate and dry rock. I've noticed a bit of green algae starting to grow in spots and coralline algae is starting to show up in specs all around the tank.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get a pic of these diatoms? The only algae that I know of that comes in sheets is cyanobacteria....

What's your water change schedule? Have you considered doing a partial blackout just to give the chaeto time to start regrowing?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back