Remove pvc cement/glue?

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I made a terrible mistake I finally started to glue/cement my plumbing and forgot to put the union nut in place. Is there any way to undo the glue/cement? It’s a union for my UV sterilizer. Also, is there anything that can help to clean the pipes as this project was a little messier than I thought it would be. Thanks!

DA88793F-11E8-46F2-9EC4-36CC48EEA7DD.jpeg 7A34FAF1-F905-4CBD-9867-3E72B6E58DD5.jpeg

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have to redo that part, you cannot un-glue. everyone has done it. only solution to mess is either light sanding. touchup paint/marker, or clean up goobers quickly

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. no there's nothing to remove the glue, you have to cut out and re-do it. Your best bet is to get a new union but if not you can drill out the fitting and reuse it. As you go you need to clean using pvc cleaner once it's set you won't get the mess off.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a Heat Gun to remove it but it will destroy the pipe but save the union.

ETA: Ok after looking more closely at the photo I'm not sure a heat gun would work in your situation. It will work to remove a pipe but I think that fitting is too thick and too close to the union so the heat would also destroy the union I'm afraid....

OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can use a Heat Gun to remove it but it will destroy the pipe but save the union.

ETA: Ok after looking more closely at the photo I'm not sure a heat gun would work in your situation. It will work to remove a pipe but I think that fitting is too thick and too close to the union so the heat would also destroy the union I'm afraid....
It’s okay. I’ve already ordered all new parts. An $80 mistake

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a tool to cut out the pipe from a fitting so you can reuse the fitting. The only time I have used one is to be able to reuse a fitting the was in a concrete slab.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you go you need to clean using pvc cleaner once it's set you won't get the mess off.

PVC pipe cleaner also acts similar to solvent and softens the surface of the PVC prior to solvent application for a stronger bond. If you use PVC cleaner to clean any drips it will result in softening marks (White milky haze) all over your pipe. Best thing to do is wipe any excess off immediately with a disposable rag. Although once you do a few of these joints you should be able to get a hang of how much solvent to use so there is very little if any mess to clean up. :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s okay. I’ve already ordered all new parts. An $80 mistake

We've all been there, one of the many reasons I ALWAYS use a standard union after every specialty union on equipment and valves unless space absolutely will not allow for it, in that case I use threaded fittings. It's never super costly to redo a lasco/spears union, however it can be VERY costly replacing a union fitting on a valve or piece of equipment such as a pump, chiller or UV sterilizer.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
They make a tool to cut out the pipe from a fitting so you can reuse the fitting. The only time I have used one is to be able to reuse a fitting the was in a concrete slab.

expensive? Do share.

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
expensive? Do share.

I paid about $75 for the 3" model but that was much cheaper then busting concrete out. I know Menards has a cheaper line also.

iu

Less expensive design

Last edited:
OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for all the input! I’ve learned a lot. I was cleaning up asi was going, but that still left matte parts from the little dried glue. I thought about using less glue but I was so nervous about getting a leak

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.0%
Back