Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishing in Your aquariums ! Shame on all of You ! LOL:D

cainedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this before myself as well, and I used a small fly fishing hook and just removed the barb from it before use.
I got a 3 inch Chalk Bass out after everything else failed..he was very smart guy..put mysis on a hook without the barb...been trying for weeks with traps..this took 5 minutes..had a beer to celebrate..really..

enveetie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be more difficult -- but good luck!

A social acclimation box would be a good idea!

um... yea, that cherub chased the new flame around the tank pretty consistently until i netted the flame out and returned him to qt. the flame is back in the display and the cherub in the sump. i'll post about it.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He jumped off as soon as I lifted him from the water.

That's because your "Cracker"

If the copperband wasn't there it would have been much easier. But I wouldn't remove a copperband that way as their mouth is much to delicate.

Webslinger, I wouldn't use a barbed hook no matter how small. But that one in the middle looks perfect. :D
The needle only took me a second to bend but the fish kept stealing my bait so I did it 4 times before I got him.
How big was that wrasse, I couldn't tell. Was he aggressive or just outgrew the tank? What kind was it?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CBB looked sad after the wrasse disappeared. Mostly like he missed a meal though.

I never saw that copperband so happy. At every meal that wrasse would steal food right out of his mouth and I thought he would rip his mouth off. That happened to my hippo tang once. He had food in his mouth and a triggerfish tore off his mouth. He wasn't very happy.

Thought fish were cold blooded and don't feel pain ?

Fish are cold blooded and I also don't think they feel pain the way we do but they feel something. That hippo tang I just posted about still tried to eat like nothing happened even though he had no jaw. He lived for a few days like that and I felt very sorry for him because he couldn't figure out why he couldn't eat. I have caught dozens of flounders and threw them back into the sea because they were too small and caught the same fish five minutes later. If they feel pain, it isn't much. I saw a large shark that was practically bitten in half by a larger shark where his intestines were trailing behind him. All he was interested in was trying to eat his own intestines.

Remember, a fish is an animal that "always" dies by being eaten alive or suffocates on the deck of a ship. They are unfortunately not a creature that ever dies of old age unless they are in an aquarium owned by a really good aquarist. :rolleyes: 99.99% of them are eaten as soon as they are born so don't feel to sorry for a fish that I caught with a hook. Especially a fish that I got as a baby and raised to 6" long and kept very happy for a few years. Then brought him back in excellent health to where I got him.

The tide pool where I collect rises and ebbs 8' during tides and at low tide thousands of fish die because they were in a part of the pool that dried up to fast.

I removed a large wrasse from one of my overflows like this. I just wish I had a video or pictures of it.

I still have the hook that I made out of a straight pin. :)

Hook.jpg

Straight pins are cool because most of the time you can bend them. I used a needle because I have dozens of them (I used to use them in an invention of mine) And they have a hole for the thread. But they snap so you have to heat them to bend them.

The only way I've gotten fish out of the tank, is to remove all the rock and most of the water. If the hook works, it sure is the easier way.

Even if I had a Manta Ray in there or Godzilla, I wouldn't take the rocks out as that would take all week and I would have to break all the corals.

Brilliant

Well, not Brilliant, cool maybe because you can see by the comments people, me included have been doing that for years. I learned it from Noah. :rolleyes:

Fishing in Your aquariums ! Shame on all of You ! LOL:D

I didn't eat that wrasse although I have a wrasse recipe. :p But I do eat fish almost every day. Maybe I will have flounder with my oatmeal this morning :eek:

How big was that wrasse, I couldn't tell. Was he aggressive or just outgrew the tank? What kind was it?

He was not aggressive and was about 6". I wanted him out because besides being to big for the type of tank I keep, he jumped out a few times, once hitting me in the face. At dinner time he would get so excited that if he ate food near the surface he thought he was a tuna and jumped out of the water and he would steal all the juicy pieces of clam from the copperband which I like better. The wrasse was just a blue wrasse and kind of boring. He swam around like a javelin and didn't go with the peaceful nature of my tank. He is back in the store in a bare tank where he will probably jump out of. But I tried to do the right thing with him as I do for all my fish. Most of the time my fish die of old age or jump out. I lost three or four fish in the last few months from jumping out. Very healthy fish, especially if they are spawning like to jump because healthy fish can jump higher than sickly fish.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my tears have dried up now. You all just can keep doing what your doing.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my luck, I'd probably catch the wrong fish every time! Ouch! Have antibiotics ready in case of a boo-boo.

Fish are cold blooded but that doesn't mean they don't feel pain.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my luck, I'd probably catch the wrong fish every time! Ouch! Have antibiotics ready in case of a boo-boo.

Fish are cold blooded but that doesn't mean they don't feel pain.

Correct, that doesn't mean anything. But I think they feel remorse, envy, tense, aggravated, lonely, repulsed, delirious, sorrow, guilt and since they are cold blooded, cold. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Empress, don't feel sad. I didn't say fish feel sad, only those other things that I mentioned and I hope they don't feel pain because, well you know. I eat them almost every day as I live on an Island and am surrounded by them.
I also eat potatoes and we certainly don't know if they feel pain. :eek:

mibwb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, that doesn't mean anything. But I think they feel remorse, envy, tense, aggravated, lonely, repulsed, delirious, sorrow, guilt and since they are cold blooded, cold. :D

Cold blooded then they don't feel remorse, guilt, lonely or sorrow....ask anyone about their Ex..mine at least, just saying.... But we are talking about cold fish..

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what that is, but I just came back from dinner and they showed up on my Menu. :cool:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back