Removing a wrasse using a hook

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works well on bold, aggressive feeders. If you use really small (like #28 or 30 fly hooks) you can catch little stuff as well like damsels using mysis as bait.

Congrats on the catch! I've had many a beer catching fish with hook or traps. Some of those attempts go better than others!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He actually stole my bait four times before that last one. I made the tiny hook with a needle that I heated and bent with a needle nose pliers. I had to be careful because the copperband likes clams as much as he does, but the wrasse is faster. :D
For the tiny fish, I use a trap but aggressive wrasses are simple to catch.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was just a needle, not a real fish hook which would have a barb on it. He jumped off the hook as soon as I lifted him over the tank. By tomorrow he will be healed.
I am sure it hurts him less than when we get a shot and much less than how the flounder was caught that I ate last night. :eek:

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing I'd watch out for is if the fish inhales all the bait and gets gut hooked. You have to use a big enough piece where he can't swallow the whole thing. I Striper fish and practice catch and release so I crush all the barbs on my lures to make them easier to unhook.

cpvince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've contemplated doing the same thing before when they don't want to swim into my fish trap. Kinda neat to see it in action!

enveetie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably the coolest reef related thing i've seen all year. bahahah. ive got a 2nd pygmy angel going in tomorrow, lets see if i'll need to replicate your success

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably the coolest reef related thing i've seen all year. bahahah. ive got a 2nd pygmy angel going in tomorrow, lets see if i'll need to replicate your success

That may be more difficult -- but good luck!

A social acclimation box would be a good idea!

Girthrockwel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome stuff!! In before the "I can't believe you'd do that crowd".

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooking fish is a good and fast way to get some fish out. I have done this with thin copper wire bent to make a hook. I have also used barb-less fish hooks (tiny hook). Injury is small and they heal quickly as long as there is no barb.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit fishing when I decided to try and keep fish alive. The video is kind of creepy to me.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit fishing when I decided to try and keep fish alive. The video is kind of creepy to me.

Some people would feel that way but I eat fish almost every day, fished for many years and my family owned a sea food business so my entire life I have been surrounded by dead and live fish.

If you are religious, Jesus ate fish, Moses ate fish, Noah and the Saints ate fish and guess what fish eat? Fish.
A fish is an animal that never dies of old age, they are always eaten alive by something bigger or suffocate on the deck of a ship. Besides that 99.99% of their babies are eaten either before or just as they are born, many of them eaten by their own Mother or first cousins twice removed. :eek:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back