Removing a wrasse using a hook

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2010
Messages
21,765
Reaction score
73,577
Location
Long Island NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wrasse grew to big so I caught him on a tiny hook made out of a needle with a piece of clam as bait. I gave him back to the store.

 
Works well on bold, aggressive feeders. If you use really small (like #28 or 30 fly hooks) you can catch little stuff as well like damsels using mysis as bait.

Congrats on the catch! I've had many a beer catching fish with hook or traps. Some of those attempts go better than others!
 
He actually stole my bait four times before that last one. I made the tiny hook with a needle that I heated and bent with a needle nose pliers. I had to be careful because the copperband likes clams as much as he does, but the wrasse is faster. :D
For the tiny fish, I use a trap but aggressive wrasses are simple to catch.
 
That was just a needle, not a real fish hook which would have a barb on it. He jumped off the hook as soon as I lifted him over the tank. By tomorrow he will be healed.
I am sure it hurts him less than when we get a shot and much less than how the flounder was caught that I ate last night. :eek:
 
The thing I'd watch out for is if the fish inhales all the bait and gets gut hooked. You have to use a big enough piece where he can't swallow the whole thing. I Striper fish and practice catch and release so I crush all the barbs on my lures to make them easier to unhook.
 
I've contemplated doing the same thing before when they don't want to swim into my fish trap. Kinda neat to see it in action!
 
I've used this before with great success as well!
 
probably the coolest reef related thing i've seen all year. bahahah. ive got a 2nd pygmy angel going in tomorrow, lets see if i'll need to replicate your success
 
probably the coolest reef related thing i've seen all year. bahahah. ive got a 2nd pygmy angel going in tomorrow, lets see if i'll need to replicate your success

That may be more difficult -- but good luck!

A social acclimation box would be a good idea!
 
That's awesome stuff!! In before the "I can't believe you'd do that crowd".
 
I've done this before myself as well, and I used a small fly fishing hook and just removed the barb from it before use.
 
Hooking fish is a good and fast way to get some fish out. I have done this with thin copper wire bent to make a hook. I have also used barb-less fish hooks (tiny hook). Injury is small and they heal quickly as long as there is no barb.
 
I quit fishing when I decided to try and keep fish alive. The video is kind of creepy to me.
 
I quit fishing when I decided to try and keep fish alive. The video is kind of creepy to me.

Some people would feel that way but I eat fish almost every day, fished for many years and my family owned a sea food business so my entire life I have been surrounded by dead and live fish.

If you are religious, Jesus ate fish, Moses ate fish, Noah and the Saints ate fish and guess what fish eat? Fish.
A fish is an animal that never dies of old age, they are always eaten alive by something bigger or suffocate on the deck of a ship. Besides that 99.99% of their babies are eaten either before or just as they are born, many of them eaten by their own Mother or first cousins twice removed. :eek:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new