Removing anemone guard

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've got a small RBTA about 4 months ago, and it's barely moved 1 or 2 inches from it's position since I got it. It's getting good light and good flow so i think it's pretty happy.

I've put 3D printed nem guards on my MP40s, but so far they've been useless as the anemone is not moving.

I'd like to remove them, since food keeps getting stuck in it, it's restricting my flow, and it's a PITA to keep clean.

Do you guys think I can remove them safely?
Will the anemone suddently decide someday to take a stroll and get chopped up?

It's right in the center of my tank on my highest rock, so depending on it's walking speed, i'd be very surprised that it'd make it all the way from there to the powerhead without me noticing it.

Thanks !

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RBTA go into my powerhead every other week, but i'm using Tunze with no nem guard. But I have close to 70 and they release babies all the time. I guess the question is, if you prized RBTA went into the powerhead would you be upset? You could make it a habit to take a sponge and wipe down the powerhead once a week.

OP
OP
Lucas815

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the question is, if you prized RBTA went into the powerhead would you be upset?
My concern is less with the RBTA itself, but rather with it nuking everything else if it gets caught in the pump

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s up to you, but I took them off my MP10’s after my Nem settled. In over three years and a lot of splitting never had one head into the pretty blades of death. I fully use them when I’m acclimating a new nem though.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean to the side of caution, and keep guards on. I have 18+ RBTAs in my 120 and most don't move. But the ones that do, can literally cover 4ft in a couple of hours.
It's like insurance, the minute you don't have it - you'll need it.

OP
OP
Lucas815

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean to the side of caution, and keep guards on. I have 18+ RBTAs in my 120 and most don't move. But the ones that do, can literally cover 4ft in a couple of hours.
It's like insurance, the minute you don't have it - you'll need it.
Do they respond to something changing in the tank, or they just decide to move for no reason?

OP
OP
Lucas815

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s up to you, but I took them off my MP10’s after my Nem settled. In over three years and a lot of splitting never had one head into the pretty blades of death. I fully use them when I’m acclimating a new nem though.
Sounds like a good middle ground.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they respond to something changing in the tank, or they just decide to move for no reason?
I find they move whenever they want, they're unpredictable. They can be camped for months then one day they're on the other side of tank or near overflow. I had one split using the overflow to cut itself in half, both halfs ended up in sump.
IMO - keep the guards on and make cleaning them just part of regular maintenance. After awhile it just becomes routine and not a hassle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back