Removing baffles from a store bought glass sump

HockeyRooster

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2020
Messages
315
Reaction score
282
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sump and I’d like to reconfigure it. I understand how to remove the baffles. I am concerned about breaking the seal in the bottom of the tank where the baffle is siliconed over the tank seal.

Any insight on how a sump like this is built? Do they build a tank and once the silicone is completely dry/cured add the baffles? Or is it built all at once and siliconed in one step?

Is there a good chance I can ruin the sump so that it leaks? Or does this type of removal normally work out well?
Thanks!

68521BBD-ACDF-4C8B-AABA-9705956AD372.jpeg EC81B7C0-41C3-46A4-AB0F-06DBAC6DB708.jpeg
 
I would cut the glass baffles out then apply a small amount of silicon where the baffles were located.
 
Just remember new silicone with not stick to cured/dried silicone

Yes, I did know this but thanks for pointing it out.

So, would you remove baffles? Do you think it’s safe to remove them?
 
I would cut the glass baffles out then apply a small amount of silicon where the baffles were located.

I missed this post-thanks for the input. That was my plan but I’m VERY concerned about ruining the main tank seal.
 
Well, I removed one of the baffles and filled the sump. All seems to be good so far. Thanks for the input
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new