Removing Copper from Hospital Water

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One. More. Week. Of Copper treatment. Then it will be nothing for a week, then Prazi for a week, then nothing for 2 weeks and then back in DT (YAY!)....so, with a 30 gallon hospital tank, do I just do a large water change(s) and run carbon in the HOB filters?

Side note-guy at the LFS got really upset with me today for treating with Copper...it's "unnecessary" and "the strong will survive". UGH no, bud... I want happy, healthy fish... Not ones that have to survive the trials and tribulations of parasites in order to live in my tank... Thanks but no thanks. Getting rid of Ich (then quarantining new arrivals to keep it gone) is the responsible thing to do, right?

Last edited:

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the type of copper you used, depends on how easy it is to remove. I would do a large water change and run carbon or some other product that removes the copper. If you are planning on adding any inverts then you will need to be more careful about removing all the cooper, if it is just the fish then do your best and don't worry too much about the trace copper left. And to answer your second question a QT is the responsible thing to do, the LFS makes more money though if you buy more fish. Sadly his advise probably reflects his business habits.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fish going in the hospital tank from here on out-I have a separate QT I can use for inverts/fish that don't need treatment. I used Cupramine so hopefully a water change and carbon will be sufficient.

He's just a kid, but their whole system obviously has Ich issues. Any fish from there already has a death warrant.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupisorb (or the like) can work quickly at removal too.

How long as the display been fallow? If it hasn't been at least 60 days yet (90 being better), ich could still be present in the DT.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We still have 5+ more weeks of fallow before they go back in DT. I'm not rushing that, for sure!

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - I would do two consecutive treatments of Prazi-pro. One usually is not enough.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back