Removing Coral Advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefHog10
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ReefHog10

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2022
Messages
105
Reaction score
64
Location
Fort Smith
What state or country do you live in
Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presently have two large colonies of birds nest corals (one jungle green birds nest ~9" across and another neon yellow birds nest that is ~ 6" across) that have outgrown my small biocube 32 gallon. I do a 15% water change weekly and dose all 4 reef daily and things have been very stable and growing great. I would have to guess a large amount of the ca/alk supplement is going into the growth of these corals so should i plan on reducing my supplement schedule if I remove them both? Just not sure how to go about removing large corals in a relatively small tank and what experience others may have. TIA!
 
Birds nest that I have doesn’t really have a base when attaching to rock. It was also very fragile. Had hair algae. When I attempted to remove it, a lot of it broke off. I took it apart and fragged the whole thing. Much of it is now bleaching in the frag tank.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7987.jpeg
    IMG_7987.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 53
When I take out large amounts of frags from my frag tank (usually 1/3 to 1/2 the content) I test for Alk for the next 3-4 days daily and adjust accordingly until it stabilizes.

Even if you have a momentary spike, it shouldn’t affect the corals, it is only extreme fluctuations (up and down) which you need to be cautious about.
 
Birds nest that I have doesn’t really have a base when attaching to rock. It was also very fragile. Had hair algae. When I attempted to remove it, a lot of it broke off. I took it apart and fragged the whole thing. Much of it is now bleaching in the frag tank.
I just frag mine to keep it at the size I like.
483AA02A-822F-45E8-B862-440E80573EC8.jpeg
8640C7C2-2689-4EB4-BD5E-25BEAF1F4B74.jpeg
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new