Removing coralline algae from black overflow panels?

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8C6DBCB8-0AA0-4CDA-B317-7DDEEC956B11.jpeg
Hi all - I prefer a clean look to the tank walls and prefer coralline only on the rock. Maintaining clean glass is relatively easy with a good scraper. However, the black panel of my AIO is much more susceptible to scratching if I take a razor blade to it.

Any bright ideas out there that are effective for this purpose without risking scratches to the black plastic?

While I recognize that elbow grease is part of the answer, it isn’t the only answer. You can be the most disciplined at maintenance but sooner or later you will go on vacation or be away from the tank for a week or more. Coralline algae will know this and jump at the opportunity. When you get back, it will no longer be easy to remove with a plastic scraper.

Thanks in advance.

Art

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Classic problem. Trying to figure this one out myself. I bought a GSP frag to cover the entire back wall was my plan. I see scratch marks so i stopped scrapping mine and let it do whatever lol

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8C6DBCB8-0AA0-4CDA-B317-7DDEEC956B11.jpeg
Hi all - I prefer a clean look to the tank walls and prefer coralline only on the rock. Maintaining clean glass is relatively easy with a good scraper. However, the black panel of my AIO is much more susceptible to scratching if I take a razor blade to it.

Any bright ideas out there that are effective for this purpose without risking scratches to the black plastic?

While I recognize that elbow grease is part of the answer, it isn’t the only answer. You can be the most disciplined at maintenance but sooner or later you will go on vacation or be away from the tank for a week or more. Coralline algae will know this and jump at the opportunity. When you get back, it will no longer be easy to remove with a plastic scraper.

Thanks in advance.

Art
Get a Tuxedo urchin! Although I love coralline algae on my back wall, my Tuxedo urchin spend more time there eating the coralline algae off than it spend on the rocks.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you leave it for long enough, it'll get thick and fall off on its own in sheets.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back