How to remove coralline algae??

Slick Willy 46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a red sea nano max 20 gallon saltwater aquarium. On the top of the back of the tank is about 4 inches of plastic that is under water. It is getting coralline algae and I don't like the aesthetics of it. Is there something I can put on it when I do a water change and the water is lower than this point that will remove it?? I have tried a brush and scraper and that hasn't worked. TIA.

OP
OP
S

Slick Willy 46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't disagree, but it leaves scratches in the plastic that look worse than the coralline algae. :confused: Also the plastic is pitted and it only gets the surface.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell scrapers and algae cleaning pads for plexiglass and plastic at all the online fish places like brs and premium aquatics.
Order one or 2 or a variety and give it a try .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a red sea nano max 20 gallon saltwater aquarium. On the top of the back of the tank is about 4 inches of plastic that is under water. It is getting coralline algae and I don't like the aesthetics of it. Is there something I can put on it when I do a water change and the water is lower than this point that will remove it?? I have tried a brush and scraper and that hasn't worked. TIA.
Edge of an old credit card. Also a Plastic Putty knife

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks put shields to cover the entire back of their tanks. When they get dirty they swap them out. The shield can go in muriatic or citric acid to remove the scale and it will look brand new. Not sure how you could shield your situation? The algae needs light to grow and encrust. Shading the area might also work?

Bioloco (EasyReefs)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
Sea urchins are natural predator of coralline algae. Try to use one but look for a non-rock drilling species. Ask your trusted store.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back