Removing established rocks

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 25g lagoon and currently have 3 large Caribsea arches but it’s too much rock and I don’t like the look so I bought 4 Caribsea nano arches.

I removed 1 of the large arches today and added the 4 nano arches to the tank. I also added 1/2oz of turbostart 900 just in case.

Could I remove all of the large arches and add a 1oz bottle of Turbo start and be ok or should I remove one of two arches each month?

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I downsized from a 100g to a 30g about a decade ago and ALL the 100g rock made it to the 30g tank which has been running but not maintained in at least 6-7 years. It had one royal Gramma, ATO and no water changes. When I decided to get back into things several months ago...with knowledge I didn't have then, mainly not making a wall on the back glass for flow and detritus export, I removed at least HALF the liverock. There was so much hidden detritus you could scoop it by the hand (bare bottom tank). Caused no problems at all. I had already added corals and two more fish before I took the rock out.. I started a biocube 14 with some left over and still have a bin with the remainder circulating water change tank water to keep it "live" I still see starfish in the bin.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait a week or two between arch replacement. Unless you have a bunch of other live rock or bio media.

OP
OP
RRsNano

RRsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait a week or two between arch replacement. Unless you have a bunch of other live rock or bio media.

So far the tan didn’t have any issues with me removing the 1 arch so I’ll remove the other one in 2-3 weeks, maybe a month to be safe and then the last one a month spaced out.

thanks everyone!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
little over 3 months.

If you wanted, you could put the other arches in a container with a bucket, a pump, and heater along with some ammonium chloride and a bacterial additive. This can get your new rock started before it goes in. You can also do this with biomedia. You can even speed this up with a lower salinity and a higher temp in the container

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back