Removing Large Green Polyp Sarcophyton

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many years ago I bought a pretty Green Polyp Leather. I had a bad tank crash due to a dosing pump that stuck on, and the leather melted away. Over the years, small pieces have sprung up from the rock, seemingly from nothing. My tank is much more stable now and my interests have shifted. I have several pieces, but one is very large, like a foot across, and I think I want to remove it.

Here is the problem. It is on a VERY nice piece of rock that I have had for over a decade. It is beautifully encrusted, and I really don't want to part with the rock. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove a large sarcophyton from a rock? Is razor blade surgery the only way? Removing the rock from the tank is a pain, but I will do it if necessary.

Suggestions?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only know of the razor blade or surgical blade to remove a fully attached leather. They are not easy to take off rocks. Wear gloves as the spines of the stem can hurt and they throw out a nasty slime too. I would remove the rock to do it. Then rinse well in saltwater before replacing. The toxins from the leather will be nasty. Good luck. Hope you are selling it as I just lost my toadstool in a move that was over 16" across and I miss it dearly. I have frags of it and they are growing, but it took 14 years to get that beauty in the shape it was.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back