Removing rock with aiptasia

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a piece of rock in my tank that I want to take out. It has a massive aiptasia behind it that I can barley see. Explains why just when I think I got all the aiptasia it always comes back in no time, and I can’t reach it to inject it with aiptasia X. It also has zoas on it which I really don’t like either, so I’m wondering can I just pull the rock out? My worry is that 1. The aiptasia will sense it and start releasing to spread itself before it dies and 2. Taking any zoas/palys out of water freaks me out. I’m probably overreacting but want to be safe when it comes to that, I don’t want it to release anything as I’ve read some horror stories with them.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia won't release spores when moved, also using any product like Aiptasia X will just spread it, which is probably why it isnt the only one in your tank. You can take the palys/zoas out and toss the rock, just don't, you know, boil them or eat them, wash your hands after and it will be fine.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia won't release spores when moved, also using any product like Aiptasia X will just spread it, which is probably why it isnt the only one in your tank. You can take the palys/zoas out and toss the rock, just don't, you know, boil them...
Is it cause they can sense the aiptasia X before you inject it and release? I got 3 peppermint shrimp to hopefully help, any other tips to rid them is appreciated

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it cause they can sense the aiptasia X before you inject it and release? I got 3 peppermint shrimp to hopefully help, any other tips to rid them is appreciated
Aiptasia are capable of regenerating the entire organism from a single cell, after the application, any cell that is not killed by the solution can (and most likely will) go on to create another aiptasia. @ISpeakForTheSeas can teach you more about the reproduction via spores if you're interested

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I have a piece of rock in my tank that I want to take out. It has a massive aiptasia behind it that I can barley see. Explains why just when I think I got all the aiptasia it always comes back in no time, and I can’t reach it to inject it with aiptasia X. It also has zoas on it which I really don’t like either, so I’m wondering can I just pull the rock out? My worry is that 1. The aiptasia will sense it and start releasing to spread itself before it dies and 2. Taking any zoas/palys out of water freaks me out. I’m probably overreacting but want to be safe when it comes to that, I don’t want it to release anything as I’ve read some horror stories with them.
yes you can or turn rock and using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back